Looking for advice on two boars in a divided cage

Cheekypigs

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So some folks who have been reading our thread in Guinea Pig Chat will know that our two young boars have progressed from dominance behaviours to serious violence, so we've had to separate them for now. We've built a cage with a divider so that they can still interact, and with the hope that maybe they will settle down and they can be brought back together in future. But I've never kept guinea pigs like this before. What is the best approach to territory? Should each pig have his own half of the cage that he can adopt as his territory, or is it better to swap ends so that they still feel like they are sharing a territory?

So some folks who have been reading our thread in Guinea Pig Chat will know that our two young boars have progressed from dominance behaviours to serious violence, so we've had to separate them for now. We've built a cage with a divider so that they can still interact, and with the hope that maybe they will settle down and they can be brought back together in future. But I've never kept guinea pigs like this before. What is the best approach to territory? Should each pig have his own half of the cage that he can adopt as his territory, or is it better to swap ends so that they still feel like they are sharing a territory?
Please keep them separate in their own half.
Swapping sides will simply distress and unsettle them.
They have clearly chosen not to live together, so there is nothing to be gained from making them feel insecure.

Allowing them to feel safe in their own cage but interact though the divider is the perfect (and only) solution.

:agr: They need to live in their own half (a 2x3 minimum each)

You mention ‘serious violence’. If that is the case and they’ve injured each other, then they will not be able to be reunited at any point and will need to be kept separated permanently.

One bit the others' ear in half.

Edit to add, I'm not sure if it is the best solution or if we would be better to find a girlfriend for one and find a new home for the other. We are planning to neuter both in order to have the best range of options.

I’m sorry to hear that.
Living side by side is perfectly acceptable and an option taken by a lot of owners in this situation.
You’re giving yourself options and time for consider what is best.

Back