Looking For A Guinea Pig Hair Dresser. It's Okay To Laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerry

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am just planning for the future. I will be moving abroad in 2018 and my pigs will be staying at home with my mum. She is a great pig grandma and she will love and care for them until I return two years later. I have absolutely no worries about their care and how much love they receive while I am away.

However the only issue I have is that two of the girls have long hair and I give them hair cuts every few months to prevent tangles and matts and smells. I know that my mum wouldn't be comfortable doing this so I am looking for someone who cuts guinea pig hair without stressing them out. We live in Stevenage so anywhere in Hertfordshire would be great.

If I can't find someone I will have to teach my mum how to do it which will be helarious for me and a nightmare for her. I would rather pay someone to do it every few months.

I don't even know if guinea pig hairdressers are a thing!

Would your mum be willing to take the piggies round to the persons house?

I have two long haired piggies and though I don't give them nice and neat haircuts, more like a butcher job honestly as I am no hairdresser and they can move around a lot (or at least one of mine like to) I have no fear in cutting their hair and I live in Hatfield, Hertfordshire.

Here's a WIP progress of one of my piggies I did last week
12227621_918372851580078_4677911082025097964_n.jpg

As you can see not the neatest job and I cut off quite a bit more since that picture around the sides and back. If you are after a neater job though I would suggest waiting for another person :))

Julie I may have to bring Mrs Fuzzy to you for a haircut.

Another option is the nurses at Vets and Pets in Broxbourne. There used to be a Piggy clinic there which has now stopped but I was told the nurses were able to do piggy haircuts.

Failing that, my OH is not too bad with haircuts as long as they don't popcorn while he is trying to do it (like Fuzzy does), we are in Letchworth but could possibly come to Stevenage as we visit family there all the time.

Julie I may have to bring Mrs Fuzzy to you for a haircut.

Another option is the nurses at Vets and Pets in Broxbourne. There used to be a Piggy clinic there which has now stopped but I was told the nurses were able to do piggy haircuts.

Failing that, my OH is not too bad with haircuts as long as they don't popcorn while he is trying to do it (like Fuzzy does), we are in Letchworth but could possibly come to Stevenage as we visit family there all the time.
You're free to bring her to me for a haircut if she's fine with a butchered hair job :))

You can check Sakurai too that way =) Win/win

She popcorns? Bless her soul xD She must love having it cut.

Why doesn't she feel comfortable cutting the pig's hair? If she's worried about it being perfect tell her there's nothing to worry about as I would say most of the guinea pig owners aren't hairdressers and it's good enough to give a decent cut that'll prevent tangles. I've found cutting hair to be easier than trimming nails.

When I had to cut my Max's hair I was worried at first. But soon realised any mistakes would grow back. You just have to be careful not to let the scissors go near the guinea pig. I did this by picking up strands of fur between two fingers and then cutting the hair making sure my fingers were between the scissors and the guinea pig. Never failed and I never cut myself or he guinea pig. Infact Max really enjoyed his hair being combed and cut.

Don't your groomers in the area do them?

We accept small animals grooming in Singapore.

I just groom my animals myself, way cheaper then getting a professional, plus you get better at it.

Excuse my ignorance please but what is 'popcorning' ?

My Girls are only 6mths old and I'm unsure what this term means, could someone explain it please?

Excuse my ignorance please but what is 'popcorning' ?

My Girls are only 6mths old and I'm unsure what this term means, could someone explain it please?
Popcorning is when your piggies do little sort of jumps in the air and sort of flip around and bounce. It's a very cute action which means they are happy. Often people mistake it for seizures as often they don't always do full on jumps but little twitches too. It's just their excitement.

Would your mum be willing to take the piggies round to the persons house?

I have two long haired piggies and though I don't give them nice and neat haircuts, more like a butcher job honestly as I am no hairdresser and they can move around a lot (or at least one of mine like to) I have no fear in cutting their hair and I live in Hatfield, Hertfordshire.

Here's a WIP progress of one of my piggies I did last week
12227621_918372851580078_4677911082025097964_n.jpg

As you can see not the neatest job and I cut off quite a bit more since that picture around the sides and back. If you are after a neater job though I would suggest waiting for another person :))
She would take them to someone and I would be very grateful if you would volenteer to do it for us in the future!

I don't care about neatress, mine look like they have had an accident with a lawnmower by the time I am finished with them!

I just groom my animals myself, way cheaper then getting a professional, plus you get better at it.
I do it myself but its my mum who wouldn't be able to. She likes them but I don't think she is comfortable holding them especially with scissors!

Why doesn't she feel comfortable cutting the pig's hair? If she's worried about it being perfect tell her there's nothing to worry about as I would say most of the guinea pig owners aren't hairdressers and it's good enough to give a decent cut that'll prevent tangles. I've found cutting hair to be easier than trimming nails.
She is worried about them moving. My girls are well behaved but my mum doesn't like little fast creatures and she would be nervous about them moving while she is trying to cut hair.

She would take them to someone and I would be very grateful if you would volenteer to do it for us in the future!

I don't care about neatress, mine look like they have had an accident with a lawnmower by the time I am finished with them!
I should be fine doing it then =)

Hi. I'm actually having a piggie problem like that. My little girl really needs a haircut and maybe a bath too but I'm so afraid to do it myself. That I contact the guy that makes my dog's grooming. He said he would help me but that he never in his life had cut a guinea pig hair. (I live in Costa Rica and here guinea pigs are something you don't see everyday and long hair breeds like my baby girl are rarities). Actually I just wanted someone that could help me and he's a professional. So I made an appointment for my little girl for next Tuesday. I hope everything goes fine because this would be her first haircut ever.

Hi. I'm actually having a piggie problem like that. My little girl really needs a haircut and maybe a bath too but I'm so afraid to do it myself. That I contact the guy that makes my dog's grooming. He said he would help me but that he never in his life had cut a guinea pig hair. (I live in Costa Rica and here guinea pigs are something you don't see everyday and long hair breeds like my baby girl are rarities). Actually I just wanted someone that could help me and he's a professional. So I made an appointment for my little girl for next Tuesday. I hope everything goes fine because this would be her first haircut ever.
How did it go for your little one?

I love cutting my piggies hair , I normally do it after a bath , one of my boys sits very still he is great and almost swishes him bum around in the water , though it's only shallow ,he doesn't mind , I just comb and cut around so it does trail , I cut the bum quite short , I can tell he feels quite smart when he is finished.
If you have a calm pig it's not too bad , but my other peruvian , is a nightmare he squeals if I bath him which is only if he desperately needs it ,and runs away when I try to trim him ,so it takes ages and he can look like he's has been chewed by a goat when I have finished as he won't sit still, if only he realised its for his own comfort lol
Now pigs at the hairdressers that would be a good idea!

Hi. Her appointment is for tomorrow at 8 am (costarican time). So wish me good luck. Because this is going to be a real adventure for my little Agatha and me.
*The picture is her hiding in her house because she doesn't want a picture. xD

20151214_102541.webp

Hello. :) I took her today to the hairdresser and everything went just fine. She actually had her hair tangled up all around her butt and near her belly because I'm sure the people at the pet store had never comb her hair. So we had to cut almost all her long hair. And now she looks like and adorable mini lion. She complained almost all the time but she's really sweet and was such a good girl even the hairdresser was suprised of how good she was. Everything went just fine. I totally recommend that hairdresser he is a professional and was so good with my baby that it just took us about 40 minutes to finish with her haircut and her bath. And so happy and she seems more comfortable now.20151215_092358.webp20151215_092358.webp IMG-20151215-WA0000.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back