Looking After Friend's Piggies - Where Best To Keep Them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilyandGeorge

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello! Hoping for some advice...
I'm going to look after my friend's piggies for a week while they are away. They have 2 young boars (not neutered). We have an older sow and neutered boar. I want to avoid the piggies becoming distressed, so am thinking they will need to be kept in, at the very least, separate rooms. But how far apart should they be? Can they smell each other from a long distance?! Would her boars fight if they smell a sow? Also I don't want George to get upset.

If you have the space to do so, I'd keep them in separate rooms. Just to be on the safe side so no one gets upset and fights start. I'd also just be careful to wash your hands etc so they can't smell other piggies from you, to keep the peace.

We looked after a friends piggies for a couple of days and had them in a separate room, plus I kept an old apron by the door which I wore when handling them, and then took off when I left the room.
Partially this was because I didn't want to upset my lot, and partially because we were treating for mites at the time and I was worried about them spreading!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back