• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

looking after boars

• Thread starter Thread starter piggymummy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

piggymummy

i'm quite new to looking after boars, and need some advice on keeping my harry clean and comfortable.

i am surprised at how smelly he is around his bottom, is this normal? and i find i am cleaning around that area regularly but it always seems to be mucky again when i go back and check. :-\ he doesnt mind me cleaning him but would love some good advice from anybody with experience on the best ways to do this and how often it is necessary. i dont mind doing it often and harry is a good boy and allows me to, so just wanted some help from you guys on how best to help him out!

thanks in advance, sam and harry x

My boars are never really smelly.. Could it be that their grease gland needs a clean or they are a bit impacted?

kellyandpiggies♥ said:
My boars are never really smelly.. Could it be that their grease gland needs a clean or they are a bit impacted?

My boars are never really smelly either. I don't do anything special just empty them out when they need it, keep their environment clean and clean their/ around their bottoms. O0

what do you mean 'empty them out' sorry might b being a bit thick? 98) and how often do you find they need their bottoms cleaning?

His cage is cleaned out every night in the wee corners and completely changed twice a week so his environment is clean, its just smelly around his back end. have tried giving his grease gland a clean and am just keeping an eye on his bottom, maybe theres something wrong with him or am i just being a paranoid mum?! sorry for bothering u with my whittle :embarassed: just a bit worried xx thanks

Cavy Crazy said:
kellyandpiggies♥ said:

My boars are never really smelly either. I don't do anything special just empty them out when they need it, keep their environment clean and clean their/ around their bottoms. O0

Same here :)

Impaction is when poops get all stuck inside and they need to be cleared/emptied. Taken out from their bums

have already looked that part of the site thank you, its not poop thats stuck its like a creamy stuff that gets hay in it. sorry to b graphic just want to know if my boy is ok?! hope i'm not getting annoying to you  :(

Yes you are getting very annoying, don't be silly of course your not. ;D Is the creamy stuff ;D impacted or coming from his manhood? O0

Sounds like secum, white stuff that lines their anal sac. Its quite normal, smelly but normal lol :) Just get a cotton bud every few days and clean the sac out. Yes its amazing the stuff they get stuck up there, i wouldn't be surprised to find the kitchen sink up there with my boys ;)

bev said:
Sounds like secum, white stuff that lines their anal sac. Its quite normal, smelly but normal lol :) Just get a cotton bud every few days and clean the sac out. Yes its amazing the stuff they get stuck up there, i wouldn't be surprised to find the kitchen sink up there with my boys ;)

lol this sounds like what i mean so i should just carry on cleaning it with a cotton bud obviously carefully and keep an eye on it

thanks guys yet more interesting and wonderful guinea advice! x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back