Looking after and getting a friend for a bereaved boar

GrassyPiggies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

I very sadly, and suddenly, lost one of my boars about 2 weeks ago, and am looking for advice on how to look after my remaining piggie, and getting him a friend. Baloo had teeth issues (likely genetic) since he was around 3 years old, and passed at the age of 4yrs, 7 months. It was definitely very unexpected and heartbreaking, but he survived about a year and a half longer than the expected survival time of most guinea pigs with his issues, and I'm very thankful for having that time with him.

Sparki, Baloo's buddy, is 3 years old is quite a clingy guinea pig but also a bit dominant. He is definitely quieter and more skittish now, and is doing an odd "shivering" thing whenever I hold him. He is eating and drinking well, but is out of sorts. I've made sure his cage is near the activity, and have been giving him lots of floor time and cuddles, which seems to make him a bit happier.

Regarding getting him a friend, I've only every kept Rex guinea pigs, as I love the breed and their docile nature, and want to stick to this. Sparki's breeder is trying to rehome one of their adult boars, and I am wondering if this would be a good option. They are really lovely people, and Sparki has never shown any of the genetic defects that my other rexes (from more local breeders) have had. If this seems like a good option, I will inquire about the personality of the boar, and hopefully arrange a "meet and greet" to see if they get on.

Is there anything else I should do to keep Sparki happy in the meantime? And would this boar be a potential option?

Thank you heaps in advance.

Hello and welcome to the forum!
I'm very sorry that you lost Baloo. 💔

I can't give you any advice on boar bondings, because I never had a boar group, but more experienced forum members will be along soon.

If you decide to take this boar, I would talk with the breeder about the possibilty of giving him back if the bonding fails. But responsible breeders (at least in Austria) will be happy to do this.
Sticking to the same breed can be beneficial, but it's not a must-have. The personality of both piggies are the most important factor in any bonding.

I’m sorry for your loss.

Boars can be bonded and rebonded at any age but it all comes down to character compatibility.

The fact you say this piggy is from a breeder leads me to a big question - Has this adult boar actually been used for breeding?
If so, then a boar who has been with sows does not usually take kindly to being put in a boar bond thus making the bonding more likely to fail.
You would need to have a plan to either return the adult boar or be able to keep them in separate but side by side cages permanently if the bonding does fail.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig

Thank you piggies&buns, that wasn't something I was aware of. Keeping guinea pigs in two seperate side by side cages is something I would like to avoid, so I will have to contact the breeder to inquire whether the boar has been used for breeding or not. I have also looked at local rescues, however there aren't any suitable boars available. Would it be best to get a baby guinea pig?

Any bond comes down to character compatibility. A baby can be well accepted as they don’t usually challenge the hierarchy while they are babies. However whenever you carry out an on spec bonding without the ability to try a date beforehand, you do always need a plan b for living arrangements in case the bonding fails.

Thank you for the help, I will have to see what guinea pigs are available in the area, and hopefully organize some dates for Sparki to find a good match.

Back