Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhubarb & custard

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm fostering 2 guinea pigs for a friend for the year because her landlord said no to pets. They're just over a year old.
She asked me to give them cuddles every day. At first I did as she asked, but noticed that they ran away and hid from me and generally seemed to be terrified of me. So I stopped, and have given them 2 weeks without picking them up. Now they're not afraid of me - they come over wheeking when it's dinner time, they come up to me and sniff me and they walk over to the door of the hutch when I come into the room. They like wandering around the room when I'm around and making sociable bubbly noises. But when I even try to stoke them, even if they're concentrating on eating, they jump and run into their hiding place and won't come out for a while.
Should I...
a) pick them up every day anyway until they just get used to it
b) not pick them up and just enjoy their companionship as they are
c) ?

I'm a little worried, because by the time I give them back, they need to be handle-able!
Thanks for any help. :S

The only way to get them used to being handled is to handle them! I know they do not like it but in time they will get used to it. They just need to realise that you handling them is nothing to fear. As prey animals they get nervous being picked up but once they know you are a friend they will learn to relax while being held. I would hold them under a fleece as they will feel safer when hiding. Good luck.

Some of mine love to be picked up and will come to the front of the cage to be scooped up. Others hate it.

The only rule in my house is that they have to be handlable to the point where a vet can carry out an examination if necessary.

I accept that most of mine are not cuddle monsters, but I handle them regularly.

You may have most success by picking them in a tunnel, cosy, or upturned hidey as most piggies don't like being picked up. Put a little herbal or veg treat at the back and create a little ritual with the same words and melody using lots of praise. It is great that your little charges have settled in and are trusting you enough to show you how they feel about things.

Two weeks is no time at all!

Most guinea pigs take a long time to warm up to you. I have had one of my piggies for three years and she is only just starting to let me pet her or walk up to the cage without running away.

Don't be afraid to handle them. Use a tunnel or cosy to pick them up as chasing them around the cage trying to catch them will just stress them out more. Feed them veggies during lap time so they realise that being handled brings good things. Don't worry, they will begin to trust you eventually and all your hard work would have paid off :)

I agree with what everyone else has said, time and patience and gentle handling with lots of treats (veg!). Encourage them into something to pick them up and then let them sit on your lap covered up and offer them veg, when they are happy to eat it on your lap then introduce more stroking and handling.

You may find that the pigs get used to you but are still nervous of other people, I find my pigs will hide if there are strangers in the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back