Long Haired Guinea Pigs Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

chazandmandy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, thinking of switching my two guinea pigs to wood shavings to see if it will be more manageable than cardboard and newspapers. I have a silkie cross and sheba mini yak. Both have fairly long bum fur and it gets dragged in wee and poo, Ive tried cutting it and am able to cut a bit but they hate getting bum cuts, i'm trying to do a bit a day and using veggies :). also my sheba mini yak is white and shes getting stains on her bum with wee, will this hurt her? think i might give her a luke warm soak. opinions and thoughts thanks?

I used to have a longhaired texel and I use wood shavings he would constantly drag his fur in pee and poop at had to basically cut his hair short around his sides and his bum. He didn't enjoy having it done but was much happier with his hair short. When I comes to washing I wouldn't wash their whole fur very often as it's hard to dry and can cause them to get cold but just wash the fur around their bum and dry it up

I used to have a longhaired texel and I use wood shavings he would constantly drag his fur in pee and poop at had to basically cut his hair short around his sides and his bum. He didn't enjoy having it done but was much happier with his hair short. When I comes to washing I wouldn't wash their whole fur very often as it's hard to dry and can cause them to get cold but just wash the fur around their bum and dry it up

Thank you for the reply, yeah I think i'll just give the bum a soak since thats the only dirty bit and then cut the bum hairs and sides short. So, would you or would you not recommend moving to wood shavings?
. Thanks!

No ive always used wood shavings and I think it's great as it causes the cage to smell less than without but just keep up the maintenace and his hair short so it doesn't drag in all the shavings, pee and poop :)

Iv got two long haired Peruvian boars. One quite enjoys his hair cut but the other is an absolute pain. Iv taken to clippering their tummys and my husband has to hold them when I do it as they just wiggle too much. I use gorgeous Guineas shampoo when I bath them. Bedding wise I use hay up one end of their cage and plenty of wood shavings. My two tend to pee in the same spots so I remove messed shavings on a daily basis to avoid them sitting in damp bedding.

I have got a peruvian and another one who was supposed to be an abyssinian, but maybe she is a cross as her hair is now really long. They both hate being brushed, but their fur has no knots and it is so soft than I can "comb" it using only my hand. Once a month I wash them with a very delicate and natural detergent (not specific for guinea pigs, but with an excellent INCI -International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients-), but I try to wash their bums twice a week (only for preventing infections). The Peruvian pig needed a little cut last day because there were two horrible knots, but I must say that their fur is okay and never sticky. The peruvian pig is wet only during her floor time, when she goes and sleeps (and wees) on the floor behind the cupboard. Into their cage there is a fleece+newspapers bedding and piggies don't need any care for their fur, as feet and fur are always clean.
I add two funny pics of their never-combed bums :)):)) (they haven't been washed before)
100_6577.webp

100_6603.webp

Perserve with the bum trims and get the fur really short round that area. That will stop matts etc... Make sure when trimming you have your fingers between piggies skin and blade of scissors. Keep them distracted with food and maybe get someone to help you hold them

Keep going with the bum trims, over time both you and the piggie will get more used to it and if you stay on top of it and do it regularly it will be less of an issue.

I find wood shavings get stuck in my long haired piggies - especially the Lunkarya's. I used to use cardboard bedding which worked well but am now on woodshavings with hay over the top which has been great so far. Less to take to the tip as hay can go in my green bin and I just roll it up to take it out. Doesn't seem to be getting stuck in their coats which is a bonus!

I've got two sheltie crosses right now, and I do trim the fur at the back (though they tend not to enjoy it!) Otherwise it gets peed on and gets matted. I also have a slicker brush to go over their coats with, but honestly they would prefer to cut the back than to have me try to brush out knots, which they hate more than the scissors!

My two are very long haired. They have bum trims and washes which they do not enjoy! I keep them on fleece bedding with a large hay area that is lined with newspaper and changed at least every other day. They do most of their wees in the hay area which helps keep them clean.

Expanding their cage has helped a lot with keeping them dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back