Long Hair Sensitive Bum?

Dollyx

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if its normal for long hair piggies to be sensitive in the butt area? My Peruvian is fine when it comes to petting close and on the bottom area, but today when I was grooming her, she was running for her life away from the comb and making small unapproving sounds. I know she does this when there are knotts but in the area I was combing there wasn't any. So, is this normal for the long hair guinea pigs? Or could it be health related?

I wasn't sure what thread to post this to.

My rusty is a mixed breed and has long hair and goes mad when I clip her bum. It doesn't hurt her we just call her the drama queen.

Most piggies do not like their back end being touched (regardless of their hair length) so in some respect yes it’s absolutely normal. However, if you suspect she may have some skin irritation (which can also produce the same reaction of not wanting to be touched due to discomfort), then it would be best to see a vet

:agr: too.

My long haired girl Priscilla grumbles and protests and jumps away every time I try to clean and trim her bum.
I check to make sure there’s no irritation and she’s just being a diva

My teddy/sheltie mix is like this. His longest area of fur is his lower back/butt. He will protest, buck/kick, and squirt pee if I try to touch him in that area. He does tend to get a lot of hair stuck in his weenie and his boy pocket.

George is a tufty sort but his fur is so black that when he's in the snuggle tunnel I can't tell which end is which till I touch him. Even his eyes are black! If I think I'm going for his head and I accidentally get his butt he will always complain - like he thinks I'm doing it on purpose!
Sometimes I'm offering his butt a slice of carrot for quite a while before I realise...

I would get him checked just in case. Better safe than sorry.

But it is worth saying that one of my old pigs, a Sheltie, hated being brushed generally, even when there were no tangles, because he associated the brush with tugs and tangles, and was especially sensitive around the back end (I imagine a tug there would be especially unpleasant). It may just go with the territory. I also have long, fine hair that tangles easily, and I can't stand having anyone else brush it because of painful experiences as a child! So I sympathise with long-haired pigs on this point.

Back