Long hair Guinea pig is sometimes a pain

Braildra

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Guinea pig with long hair

Anyone knows if I can shave my Guinea pig? He made a bigggg mess in his butt hair?? Idk the name but yeah last time we ended up shaving it I didn’t really want to do that but my dad said otherwise I usually cut the hair not shave it but since it’s really hard to cut because of how close it is to his butt. at this point I was wonder if I could just shave him for the summer

I agree long hair can be a pain! I get my husband to hold my piggies while I trim their bums. I trim their bums pretty regularly otherwise they get wet and urine-y, I find that doing it often means it never gets too long and you don't have to cut off too much each time. Never tried shaving, would be worried they would be terrified of the sound... have read that you can though? hopefully someone with experience in that will reply later!

Here is my guide for you @Braildra.

An Illustrated Guide to Hair Cutting

It tells you everything you need to know about cavy coiffure.
Hiya, the link to the suggested clippers doesn't work. Do you have a brand name and model?

Our new sow Esme already has very long hair and she isn't 3 months old yet. We are definitely going to need clippers eventually. I have already had to trim around her bottom as it gets wet and tangled.

Hiya, the link to the suggested clippers doesn't work. Do you have a brand name and model?
Thanks for letting me know. I wonder if @Wiebke can sort it? (Please)

I can't remember which make and model they were now as it's been a long time since I wrote it, but any pet clippers should be OK as they are quieter the human ones.

Yes, long hair can definitely be a pain! I always wanted a long-haired pig and now I have one... unfortunately she is NOT very cooperative with brushing and clipping! So far I've managed to just trim everything regularly with scissors while one of my kids holds her still (because bribing her with treats to cooperate does NOT work, she is very feisty!) but I definitely have to clip the fur around her bum regularly, probably about once a week at least, to keep it from getting matted.

You can shave your guinea pig, but be gentle and use pet clippers to avoid stressing them with the noise.

I think I just bought some electric shaver from the pet shop when I had Priscilla with her luxurious skirt.
They had about 3 settings so she retained some fur rather than being turned into a skinny pig.

I also used unscented baby wipes for her bum which was constantly getting mucky because of the long fur.

We usually do a 'bikini trim' in the area that gets the most matted with pet clippers and then cut the sides with scissors. But you can also use clippers to shear the entire pig, just leave a few mm of fur everywhere and never use it on the head. It's no issue in summer and can even help them with temperature regulation when it's hot. We have a pet trimmer but I don't find it to be meaningfully quieter than our human trimmer tbh

Back