Long Day Travelling With The Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

LauraHG

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wanting some general information/opinions. I will be travelling back to see my family at Christmas for a couple of weeks and I am wanting to take Fred & Hamish with me. They are currently in a 2x4 C&C cage, but I also have a 120 Ferplast cage and a cat carry box for them too.

Unfortunately it will be a long day travelling (from Devon to Newcastle, around 8-9 hours). What is the best way to travel with them. I was planning on trying to fit the Ferplast in the boot with their snuggle pouches, cucumber and hay for the journey, but I want to make it as least stressful for them as possible, so don't know if a smaller container would be better. What are your recommendations?! Thankyou :)

I've never travelled with guinea pigs before, but I do know when travelling with small animals (or any animals really) it's best to keep them in a restricted space so they don't get thrown around too much which could result in injury.
Maybe it would be a good idea to set up the cage in the boot, but travel with them in the travel box. Then every 1-2 hours stop for a good 30-45 min and put them in the cage for a run around etc?

I also saw a video showing that a travel box on the back seat, even if it's strapped in, can cause all sorts of havoc and injury to animals if you're in an accident. But if you place it on the floor (between the back seat the front seat) then it is much more secure and much less damage occurs during an accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back