Loner Pig

piggl

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
Hi all, I suffer from anxiety and I am really worried I have made a wrong decision.

I have a 4 and a 1/2 year old boar who is very timid and skittish, who went under the wing of my recently bereaved (now passed away) 6 month old when he was 2 months and they got on great and lived a wonderful life together.

After looking for a month and a half for older boars and having no luck we made the decision to pick up a baby boar from pets at home.

My boy was fine on his own for a bit (after the loss of his friend, he even shocked me how little he cared in the days after), then he started to lose some weight and act subdued so I started looking even harder for a new friend and after a while he started to act fine again but not the best. He was wheeking in that time which he has never done before, bearing in mind he was recently moved inside 5 months ago so is still somewhat adjusting to understanding routine and bag crinkles.

When I introduced them he nearly stepped on the baby that’s how much he didn’t care, then licked its ear for a bit then got on with his day. 3 and a half hours and a nap and some very mild dominance later I moved them upstairs to their cage.
The issue is my boy has no interest in the wee man, he jumps over him, runs away when he comes near and when the baby was popcorning after his first slice of cucumber all he could do was run away or shove his butt at him.

I worry I have disturbed what would have been his happy peaceful singular retirement. I know I have to bear in mind they haven’t even known each other 12 hours but the little ones so happy to have a friend and my older boy could care less and my empathetic self cant handle it, haha.

Can a pig actually be a loner? I know they can survive alone technically, but can they want to be alone.
I really hope he warms up to him and stops pretending like he isn’t there, will this happen either as they establish their bond or will the baby have to grow up a bit first?

They sound fine to me, especially the licking part. They're still figuring things out. Tony would run away from baby Geezer in the beginning, then he turned into the most amazing piggy grandpa. Give them time, and let's see how it goes when the baby reaches his teens. They're already showing affection which is nice.

Please don’t worry, there doesn’t sound to be anything wrong here.

It sounds like there is no need for dominance because their hierarchy is sorted. Acceptance has definitely occurred and they are just getting on with being together.
He didn’t nearly step on him because he didn’t care - that is a human emotion to have put on the situation and is highly unlikely to be what he was actually thinking.

It’s very rare for a piggy to actually want to be single and it certainly does not sound as if that is what is occurring here m.

Try not to worry, I know that’s easier said than done, but all sounds very good with their bonding so far.

Thank you for your replies, I care a lot about my pigs as we all do, and the way my older boy just seems to not care about him or runs away when he comes near is worrying to me.

I just need to give them a chance, I am always jumping to conclusions and allowing my mind to run wild.
Thanks again.

I would just like to add when I actually take a second to think about it he is not used to being up close and personal with another pig.

He and Digby were best friends but never cuddled or anything like that, they just lived in harmony so a little guy running around him and pushing past him would be unsettling.
Heres hoping their bond slowly grows into a great one.:)

Yes that is definitely a consideration. A bonded adult who is happy with companionship from a distance may be different to a youngster who wants a bit more closeness.

Everything does sound fine though and I am sure everything will continue that way

I hope the bonding continues to go well. Babies do usually want to be close to their new friends. I’ve bonded babies with older piggies twice now and it’s worked out really well. Good luck.

Back