• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

lonely reggie neuter or not?

• Thread starter Thread starter poppy1775
  • Start date Start date

What shall i do with poor reggie?

• neauter him and put him with my sows?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • wait and see if preg sow has boar and try bonding with them?

• try bonding him with ronnie again?

• leave him as he is?

• other?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

poppy1775

Hi everyone you might have read in my other thread that i was tryin to bond my 2 boars Ronnie and Reggie?

Well I've finally given up now they have had really big fights every time i get them anywhere near each other well the other night they fought so bad that i had to literally pull them apart and when i picked up Ronnie he was injured pretty bad there was blood everywhere all over me him and the floor!
the injury wasn't too bad just a bite on his foot but it's really upset me!

Anyway now Reggie's sittin in a great big hutch all by himself just staring into space all day looking really sad, I was wondering if it was worth getting him neutered and putting him in with the girls (although i can't at the moment as ones pg!) but I've heard that it's really dangerous!

or maybe maybe if my pregnant sow has a boar tryin to bond him with on of those but i really wouldn't want him to hurt a baby he was really nasty and his normally the nicest piggy you'll ever meet! sorry to go on

so what do you think?

I think In this case I would neuter, really you dont know what babies you will have and weather he will get on with a baby so I would neuter and pop him in with the ladies. He wont be able to go in with the girls for a while after his op anyway he will need to recover etc.

What are you going to do with Ronnie?

he lives quite happly with 2 other boars but someone told me that i shouldn't keep more than 2 boars together so i thought i would try and bond them 2! :smitten: :smitten:

If he is happy with the other boars I wouldnt take him out unless the situation changes I have 3 brothers that live together and they are getting on a lot better now (we had a funny time last month) Vikki has 3 boars that live happily together too, some times it isnt great option but there are a few of us on here that have more than 2 together that are happy at the mo!

Hi there, I had 4 boars living together a couple of years ago. Since the 'boss' died, they all fought and had to be separated though.

I think your decision will depend on a number of things: Firstly, how experienced your vet is at doing boar castrations.
Also, how much space do you have and what were you thinking of doing with the babies - keeping them all?re-homing some? Do you have any potential homes lined up?

Are they due to be born soon? If so, it's probably worth waiting to see what you get. If, for example, you have just two baby boars, it might be better to keep them as a pair (either to re-home as a pair or to keep) rather than separating them. But if you have just one baby boar, then I would try him with Reggie, when he's old enough.

I don't think you should try him again with Ronnie, as they have fought seriously and Ronnie is now quite happy with the other two.

On the down side, guineas don't do fab under ansthetic, and if you have no need to do this don't would be my advice, but also this is very personal to you and you have to decide what you should do, people will retort that guineas do, do well under the kn ife but i had a long discussion with my vet over this and he said 1 out of 3 don't make it, he is a very good vet.
if it is possible to bond him up with a baby it would be comfortable for him

I had a similar dilema with Timmy who I had to split from Lennie as he did his best to take chunks out of him!
I think the number one question is: is your vet competant and experienced in neutering guineas? If you are in any doubt, I wouldn`t. I trusted my vet completely but I really didn`t want to put Timmy through such a procedure unless necessary. I ended up bonding him with a shy baby boar and so far it is working out better than I ever hoped for.
Your case is slightly different in that you have sows already but if you neuter him and your pregnant sow has only one boar, what will you do with him? If she has 2, they will stay together. Maybe wait until your sow delivers, sex the babies and make your final decision then. In the meantime, I would ask you vet some questions on what method they use to neuter, which pain killer they give pre op and post op and which anaesthetic they use. Also, how many gp neuters has he/she done and sucess rates.
If you put the answers you get to those questions on here, experienced members can soon tell you wether this info is good/bad or indifferent!
Good luck with your decision :)

Thanks everyone for your help will do some research on the vets now and make a final decision when pippas had her litter!

In the meantime i'll just give reggie some extra attention! :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

If your vet says they only expect 1 out of 3 to make it definitely don't get it done! I hate to go on about this but I've had close to 60 done now and 100% success rate. Go to a vet that a rescue uses successfully, but wait to see what the outcome of the litter is.

I don't think you can quantify surgical outcomes like that!

What went wrong with all those cases? I guess it was post-op infection/ abscess?

A competent vet can anaesthetise a guinea perfectly well. I have been through this 6 times recently. I always bang on about this, but do ask for Isoflurane.

I'm thinking i'd wait and see.............. i'm not one for ops unless necessary :)

Can you pop him beside another boy who he could chat to?
Our boys were happy as but then when the hormones kicked in :o :o :o we separated them but they had a cage together with a mesh divider they'd happily chat all day long :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: Then i found when we got them out, they'd do ANYTHING to be together, mind you there would be the rumbles etc.. but that would settle down and they'd snooze up together :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: but i'd never let them sleep together.

Just my bit.....
Good luck love i know how hard a decision it is to make :( :( :(
Cross paws that a little mini boar is born and they make friends :smitten: :smitten:

karenrgpr said:
If your vet says they only expect 1 out of 3 to make it definitely don't get it done! I hate to go on about this but I've had close to 60 done now and 100% success rate. Go to a vet that a rescue uses successfully, but wait to see what the outcome of the litter is.

I totally agree. I have never lost a pig to anaesthetic. I have had countless pigs spayed and castrated aswell as many other ops and not had a problem. If the pig is healthy and you have a good experienced vet you shouldnt need to worry ;) If a vet told me they lost 1 in 3 pigs under anaesthetic I would find a different vet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back