Lonely piggie

Fayld

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello this morning I have had to have one of my guinea pigs put to sleep as he had a tumour šŸ˜„ besides being devastated I dont know what to do with his brother now he's all alone! They are 4 in oct so been together for a while now, I know introducing a another one is not right nor do I really want another one but will he be OK alone? If i rehomed him he still cant be with others hes not use to can he? Thanks guys

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230707_114942_Facebook.webp
    Screenshot_20230707_114942_Facebook.webp
    55.3 KB · Views: 16
I am very sorry for your loss šŸ˜ž Your remaining boy will grieve in his own way and so long as he is eating, drinking and not showing signs of acute depression, he will be ok until you decide what to do. He will however benefit from having a new friend. You could contact your local rescues and see if they offer ā€˜boar datingā€™ where you take him along and let him choose his own new friend. Have a look at our rescue locator and see if one of them is in easy reach of you. If you decide to rehome him, pleases consider surrendering him to one of the rescues in our rescue locator who will pair him up with another boy and make sure he goes to a good home. Itā€™s worth contacting them https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/guinea-pig-forum-recommended-rescues.196734/

I am sorry to hear of your loss.
Your boy will need a new friend and he certainly isn't un-bondable. Piggies are social creatives and although he will miss his brother he will also hopefully continue to live a full life and should not do so without a friend.

You have a couple options, you can find him a new friend either by a rescue or by a pet store.
We would recommend you go through a rescue as there are many piggies, old and young, looking for homes, they may also be able to offer you "boar dating" service which consists of you and your boy going in and meeting a boar or two and seeing how they get along, meaning you do not take a pig home and then have to put him back because they do not get along.
Having a bond is not fully down to being siblings, there was always a chance your boys could have fallen out as it all comes down to personality, which is why there is no guarantee your boy will get on with a pig you take home.
You can also "foster" a pig, so perhaps if you get a younger boy from a rescue and he gets along well with your boy, when your boy eventually passes the rescue will take back that boar and again find him a suitable home.

If you decide to go via a baby from a pet store then this is also okay. All introductions must take place in a neutral area with nothing but a big pile of hay in the middle.
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

You can also rehome him, we would recommend you do this to a rescue who will find him a suitable partner/new friend and then to a suitable home. I would not recommend going through places such as pets at home as they will not monitor where you boy goes to and I can imagine you would like him to go to a nice home if possible.

As for grieving, a guinea pigs grieving after loss generally lasts around 4 days until the ultimate need for survival will kick in. If your boy is eating, drinking and acting himself then this is a great sign, but does not mean he should be alone.
It sounds as if you have a tough decision ahead, and I wish you well with whatever way you chose to go around this.
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Death, Dying, Terminal Illness; Human Grieving and Bereaved Companions: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/guinea-pig-forum-recommended-rescues.196734/

I am so sorry for your loss x

You havenā€™t said which country you live in but please look to have him find a new friend through ā€œboar datingā€ guinea pigs do need to live in pairs

I live in kent, he's doing OK he's been outside in the run most of the day. ive given him a little teddy but hes only sniffed him twice in the last few hours. In the summer they live in the hutch in the shed and he's just gone to his bedroom in the shed hutch but I'm now thinking should he be inside the house in our playroom where they go In the winter? We don't go in there that much so it's not like he's around us more than the shed so not sure what to do for now? Thanks

I also have the camera set up to keep an eye on him for now

Hey guys the last 2 nights since coco passed I've had his brother snicker who is defo mourning indoors. There normally outside in the shed (summer time) where there its lots of floor space and his hutch etc. During the day yesterday and today hes either been in the shed or in the run. So my question is shall I keep him indoors just at night for closeness 4 him or in his hutch/shed like normal? Thanks

I would probably bring him inside, but I like having my piggies around me and wouldn't keep my group in a shed, so I'm probably not the best person to answer this question.
If he is used to living outside and you feel that he is happier outside then I guess you could leave him in his known surroundings.

Have you thought about getting him a new partner yet?

They are normally in doors in the winter and outdoors in the summer to enjoy the sunshine, grass etc.
Not sure what to do next were just seeing how he is for now. I've attached a pic off my camera but it's dark obviously.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230710_222014_littlelf smart.webp
    Screenshot_20230710_222014_littlelf smart.webp
    23.2 KB · Views: 10
He will be getting towards the end of the worst part of his grieving, and will be ready for a new friend within the next couple of weeks. He really is too young to spend the rest of his life alone, so finding a new friend is in his best interests. Get in touch with some rescue centres and see if they can help.

If he is happy outdoors then leave him there where he is comfortable. Just make sure you spend plenty of time with him during the weeks he is alone.

There are one or two rescues around Kent. I would drop them an email and ask about bereaved boar dating, they usually make them a priority if they can to find a little friend for him

Good luck x

Back