Lonely Guinea

• Thread starter Thread starter trojanman10101
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trojanman10101

Hi well last year around Oct. I bought my first guinea pig and he was a male and I named him Cody. Then five months later I bought another male guinea pig, but younger, for my first guinea pig. Well the second day they were in the same cage I heard my Cody squealing really loud. I picked him up and he bite wounds all over him from the past night. So I took him to the vet and he is now healed and happy. However I gave the other pig away to my friend because I tried again to put them together but the other pig still tried to bite him. Now I think Cody is now lonely because all he does is sit around in his igloos and eat. He still gets happy for his parsley and carrots but just sits around all day. I have tried every toy and the only thing that pleases him is food. So I want to buy him another piggie but I dont want them to fight. What do u guys think I should do?

Hiya,

Guinea Pigs love company as you probably know. How old is your Guinea now? You could still get another but don't put them in the hutch together, keep them seperate to make sure a new pig is healthy and introduce them together in a neutral area like when they have floor time.

You'll always have to think well if they do fight have I got the room to house them seperatly? If you do get another maybe take your guinea to a rescue centre to choose one himself, I've heard people do this and it works out very well.

Good luck!

Louise
:)

Hiya
I would have a look at barmy4boars website, they give instructions on how to bond males. http://www.barmy4boars.co.uk/
Options would be:
get your piggie neutered and get a sow to keep him company.
Get another boar and introduce them like the instructions on barmy4boars.
Or if you get another boar and they still don't get on, then have them living side by side.
Or go to a rescue centre and let your piggie choose his own friend.

Hope that helps a bit, I'm new to this forum and keeping piggies but that's been my options with my single boar that I inherited form my husband's work colleague. We just bought a new piggie friend for him yesterday and going to try introducing by barmy4boars instructions and if they don't get on then have them living side by side.

Thanks you guys well if i do get a female or sow is it a guarantee that they will not fight and how will that work if I take my pig to the rescue shelter?

Thanks you guys well my guinea is about 2 years old and if i do get a female or sow is it a guarantee that they will not fight and how will that work if I take my pig to the rescue shelter? Thanks!

I don't know if there is any guarentee that any piggies won't fight but from what I have read on here, girls nad boys or girls and girls generally are easier to pair than 2 males.
I'm sure someone with more experience than me can help better.
Again from what I have read on here, you take your piggie along to a rescue centre and they introduce your piggie to other males on neutral territory to see which one they get along with.

flm1977 said:
I don't know if there is any guarentee that any piggies won't fight but from what I have read on here, girls nad boys or girls and girls generally are easier to pair than 2 males.
I'm sure someone with more experience than me can help better.
Again from what I have read on here, you take your piggie along to a rescue centre and they introduce your piggie to other males on neutral territory to see which one they get along with.
Oh well the second option sounds good so I don't have to have clean 2 cages if they fight. Well thanks for all your help.

Hi & welcome Trojanman :)

One of my piggies Frank, died in April leaving Murran on his own. So after much thought & joining this forum to ask advice, I contacted my local rescue centres & found one which had other boar piggies, so I arranged to take Murran along so he could be introduced to see who he would get on with. Murran was put with a boy called Gilbert & they hit it off from the start! We brought both boys home in the same carry case, but had a spare with us just incase. Then put them in the cage together & all has been well. :)

I had to sterilize the cage (including bars), dishes, etc with baby sterilizing solution & also I rearranged the items in the cage so it wasn't the lay out Murran is used to. This is so your piggie can't smell that it is his territory as this would cause problems.

There is no guarantee that the pigs will carry on getting along once you get them home, but this way you have the option of taking the rescue pig back to the rescue if things don't work out. You therefore need to have a spare cage or something to divide the existing cage just incase this happens & until you can get rescue piggie back to the rescue centre.

It is all down to the personalities of the piggies, they have to decide who will be top pig, of if they are both laid back as my boys are then neither is worried about being top pig so all is well!

Good luck with your decision O0

Sian said:
Hi & welcome Trojanman :)

One of my piggies Frank, died in April leaving Murran on his own. So after much thought & joining this forum to ask advice, I contacted my local rescue centres & found one which had other boar piggies, so I arranged to take Murran along so he could be introduced to see who he would get on with. Murran was put with a boy called Gilbert & they hit it off from the start! We brought both boys home in the same carry case, but had a spare with us just incase. Then put them in the cage together & all has been well. :)

I had to sterilize the cage (including bars), dishes, etc with baby sterilizing solution & also I rearranged the items in the cage so it wasn't the lay out Murran is used to. This is so your piggie can't smell that it is his territory as this would cause problems.

There is no guarantee that the pigs will carry on getting along once you get them home, but this way you have the option of taking the rescue pig back to the rescue if things
don't work out. You therefore need to have a spare cage or something to divide the existing cage just incase this happens & until you can get rescue piggie back to the rescue centre.

It is all down to the personalities of the piggies, they have to decide who will be top pig, of if they are both laid back as my boys are then neither is worried about being top pig so all is well!

Good luck with your decision O0
Hi well I'm sorry to hear that one of your pigs died. It must be hard. :'( Although my problem is that I have no shelters that have guinea pigs the closes place is 50 miles away. So I have to go to a petstore and hopefully get a female and hope they bond.. Unless i get a younger male.

Thank you for your condolences. I find it very hard to lose a pet, I have to take comfort that I gave them a good & loving home & did my very best for them. :)

I see your problem with the distance, unless you have transport or can find someone who will drive you that will be a problem. :-\

Visit www.barmy4boars.co.uk for advice on introducing if you go for the baby pig from a pet shop.

If you do get one from a pet shop then you will need to keep him in a separate cage fro a quarantine period of two weeks to make sure he has no health problems which your boy could catch.

There may be someone on here who has rescue piggies or knows of some looking for homes in your area it is worth putting a post on to enquire O0

Yeah well Petco has a female guinea for adoption and I think I'm going 2 get it. :) I'm hoping they wont fight...

So you are going to get your boy neutered are you? Otherwise you are going to have baby guinea's & what will you do then? :-\

Spaying a female is a much more difficult surgery than castrating a boar. It's a lot more intrusive and recovery is longer. You also need a really good piggy vet, the likelihood of finding a piggy vet that has done some spays is quite slim. You also haqve to wait until the baby girl is old enough to have the operation which would mean two cages for the first few months she was with you and until she had recovered. The easier option would be to get your boy neutered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back