Lonely Guinea Pig

Cookie Trio

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi there,
So in 2018 we got 3 baby boars. The first one passed away in April 2023 and our second passed last night. Our remaining guinea Pig is very subdued and not eating much at all. Wondering if fostering a Guinea pig so my last one has a partner until he passes or if I should not bother and let him live out the rest of his life alone. He is healthy except from being slightly underweight but he is now 5 and a half so I don’t know if fostering a new one is a good idea and I wouldn‘t want to put him through a lot of stress. Unless him not eating much and being subdued is only temporary with the hopes he may perk up. So really not sure what to do.
Thank you for any advice.

So sorry you lost one of your boys last night. Hopefully your little bereaved boar will come out of deeply grieving soon, do weigh him everyday and if he is losing weight then give top up syringe feeds of mushed pellet.
I think fostering a piggie as company for him is a great idea. obviously you will have to think about bonding or perhaps if he is a little frail or would find it stressful then they could live in side by side cages for companionship

Hope you find this link helpful

Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

I’m sorry for your loss.

:agr:
Fostering another piggy so he has companionship is a lovely thing to do for him

I feel your pain so much as I have lost two girls within 9 weeks of each other, Elizabeth on Christmas Eve leaving my Esme alone. It’s just awful watching them grieve 😞

She’s not eating much either and has lost around 40g in weight but she’s started picking up a little now.

I have made the decision that my 3 girls would be my last piggies for a while and after 16 years of piggy ownership, I need to break the cycle. It’s just sadly happened much faster than I anticipated 😞 Esme is only 3 and a half so leaving her alone isn’t an option. It’s breaking my heart but I have a lovely new home lined up for her where she can have piggy company again. I think that if you can adopt a foster piggy for your remaining boy, that would be lovely. It isn’t an option for Esme as if she doesn’t bond, I haven’t the room to have them live side by side and I would still be faced with the same scenario

Please follow the advise given in the thread @Bill & Ted has linked in. That’s what I’m doing with Esme until she goes to her new home (((hugs))) x

So sorry you lost one of your boys last night. Hopefully your little bereaved boar will come out of deeply grieving soon, do weigh him everyday and if he is losing weight then give top up syringe feeds of mushed pellet.
I think fostering a piggie as company for him is a great idea. obviously you will have to think about bonding or perhaps if he is a little frail or would find it stressful then they could live in side by side cages for companionship

Hope you find this link helpful

Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig
Yes I have started to syringe feed but hopefully he will start eating again. The link was very helpful so thank you for that.

I feel your pain so much as I have lost two girls within 9 weeks of each other, Elizabeth on Christmas Eve leaving my Esme alone. It’s just awful watching them grieve 😞

She’s not eating much either and has lost around 40g in weight but she’s started picking up a little now.

I have made the decision that my 3 girls would be my last piggies for a while and after 16 years of piggy ownership, I need to break the cycle. It’s just sadly happened much faster than I anticipated 😞 Esme is only 3 and a half so leaving her alone isn’t an option. It’s breaking my heart but I have a lovely new home lined up for her where she can have piggy company again. I think that if you can adopt a foster piggy for your remaining boy, that would be lovely. It isn’t an option for Esme as if she doesn’t bond, I haven’t the room to have them live side by side and I would still be faced with the same scenario

Please follow the advise given in the thread @Bill & Ted has linked in. That’s what I’m doing with Esme until she goes to her new home (((hugs))) x
It does break my heart seeing them so upset. I haven’t really eaten much since he passed because I'm so sad so I can only imagine how he feels. Thats very sad to hear that has happened to you and your piggies, I send my condolences. Glad to hear she is getting better. Yes I have the same issue as you in that these are my last ones for a while which is why I feel fostering is probably the best idea but I understand that rehoming your last one makes the most sense since she is still young and has lots of time left, it is best for her to have the company. I have just read the thread and it was very helpful so thank you for that. I hope Esme gets better and I hope you are ok, I know it’s difficult. Thanks for the help.

It does break my heart seeing them so upset. I haven’t really eaten much since he passed because I'm so sad so I can only imagine how he feels. Thats very sad to hear that has happened to you and your piggies, I send my condolences. Glad to hear she is getting better. Yes I have the same issue as you in that these are my last ones for a while which is why I feel fostering is probably the best idea but I understand that rehoming your last one makes the most sense since she is still young and has lots of time left, it is best for her to have the company. I have just read the thread and it was very helpful so thank you for that. I hope Esme gets better and I hope you are ok, I know it’s difficult. Thanks for the help.

It’s just so hard isn’t it? I hope your little boy will be ok.

Thank you so much, Esme is extremely quiet today, it’s breaking my heart it really is and I’m still grieving Ella and Elizabeth 😞

I’m glad you found the thread useful and I hope you can find a solution for your little boy and remember to look after yourself as you grieve x

It’s just so hard isn’t it? I hope your little boy will be ok.

Thank you so much, Esme is extremely quiet today, it’s breaking my heart it really is and I’m still grieving Ella and Elizabeth 😞

I’m glad you found the thread useful and I hope you can find a solution for your little boy and remember to look after yourself as you grieve x
Oh it really is. My one seems to be getting better, started eating again so that’s good. That is really hard to hear, I hope she gets better. Thank you for all of your support during this hard time for me. It means a lot.

Oh it really is. My one seems to be getting better, started eating again so that’s good. That is really hard to hear, I hope she gets better. Thank you for all of your support during this hard time for me. It means a lot.

Thank you ❤️ You’re very welcome, I’m glad your little boy is getting better x

Back