Lonely guinea pig

Gons

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Is it best to get a new pig or leave Snake on his own?
Unfortunately, we woke to find one of our guinea pigs (Mash) dead this morning. Now we only have one pig (Snake). Even with Mash, Snake was quite shy and it was obvious he followed Mash and was made confident by Mash. I'm wondering if we should get another pig as I've heard that they can die of loneliness. We've been thinking of getting a rescue pig but Snake is quite big and male so I'm worried about them fighting. Is it best to get a new pig or leave Snake on his own and if needed how does one help them get on?

I’m so sorry for your loss.

Yes he will need a new friend but you have a few weeks provided he is eating and maintaining his weight at each routine weight check and is otherwise happy.

The best way to find a compatible friend is to contact a reputable rescue centre and enquire about boar dating. The rescue will help you find a suitable friend for him to ensure compatibility and therefore a successful bond (So no fighting).

The guides below will help you further.

Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/guinea-pig-forum-recommended-rescues.196734/

So sorry you lost Mash :hug:

Hope you can find a good rescue who will date Snake with a lovely new friend, they do far better in pairs 🤞

I’m so sorry you’ve lost Mash. Good luck finding a friend for Snake.

Back