Lone boar

howdyhowdy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I recently had a guinea pig pass away. His friend, BP, was left behind. I adopted BP from a lady who could not keep him and his friend, Marshmallow in November of 2020. They were babies. Marshmallow died two days after the pair came home with me. BP was checked and proven to be healthy. After some searchingand a little time, I found another boar in need and brought him home to meet BP. Tater was a character, outgoing and curious as oppossed to BP's shy, quiet, and cautious nature. They were more roommates, living together but not fully bonding. Tater passed a year and a half later from pneumonia. BP was also vet checked and declared healthy.

Since he was less than two, I thought BP would still like company. The search went on for a while, but I came across a rescue with a lovely adult male Teddy. Calm and quiet but also curious and friendly, he and BP got along so well. Now that piggy has passed. No pneumonia or URI; the vet thought he was around five years old at the time of his passing. BP is still healthy.

However he is now alone again. He is three years old, but he has lost three friends already. My teen daughter is scared to find him a new piggy friend because she is understandably having a hard time seeing them die. We all also worry about how this is affecting BP. Is there a way to keep him satisfied socially but not add a piggy with him? I don't want to be cruel by leaving him by himself, but I also don't want to be cruel by having him meet new potential partners only to lose another.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm so sorry for all your losses.

The reality is that there is no way to keep him socially satisfied if he doesn’t have another piggy with him. Human interaction isn’t enough for them so finding a new friend is the best thing for him. He could still have many years left.
They do grieve, but are ready for a new friend sooner than the humans are. Piggies can be bonded and rebonded throughout their lives.

Wishing to end your piggy cycle is always a tricky thing and unless you can foster a companion from a rescue centre for him to see out his years and then return the foster back to the rescue (something I’m not sure is widely available in the US), there may come a point where you do decide to leave him on his own.

Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig

I am so sorry poor BP has lost so many companions, it’s not easy for your and your daughter or BP. I do think though that a lone piggie is a sad piggie and at three years old he has a good few more years left, they can live to around 7 years sometimes.
Give yourself time to grieve and then see if you can find a rescue that will offer boar dating for BP, if he can choose a friend he will be more the happier for it, which will make you both happy too 😊

I am so sorry for your losses 😞 (((hugs))) BP is only young and could live for a few more years. Give yourself time to grieve and then it would be best to look for a new friend for him. Most rescues now offer boar dating where you take your lone boar and let them choose their own friend. I think this would be your best option for both you and BP x

Back