log house or nesting box that is the question?

• Thread starter Thread starter goldilocks
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

goldilocks

Hi at the moment my piggies have a nesting box 3ft x 2ft and a ex-large log cabin (courtesy of aunty wanda) to hide in etc. The query I have is that the nesting box is starting to go black on the bottom and is starting to go black on the sides, it has only been used since the middle of nov. I was wondering wether to
a) get another log cabin and 2-3 of the grass logs(from pampered piggies)

or

b) get another log cabin made?

I have 7 piggies in a 6x4 shed free range. Hoping to get a run sorted out for them in the warmer weather.

Thank you for reading.

I choose option A

I'm sure your piggies will love eating the grass logs and sitting on them. Even if you get 2 or 3 of them it would be good. Cardboard boxes are good and cheap with cut out holes. I also like the plastic cocoon from P@H because it has not got a bottom so it doesnt get all messy etc,

Has the nesting box been stained with pet safe preserver? Does it have a floor on it?

My OH has built the girls and boys a house each that goes in their bedroom compartment of the hutch. He stained it with pets at home wood pressrver. When i clean out the piggies i bring the houses out and give them a clean as well and they keep nice on a weekend i bring them out as well to have an air out and dry out as they get a bit wet at the bottom.

The reason why i ask if it has a floor is because the first one OH made he put in a floor and it just kept getting terribly wet and smelly so he rebuilt the others without floors we fill them with Hay and put fleece blankets on top and they get lovely and warm in there. The boys share but the girls wont so they have a house, pigloo and cuddle cup to choose from in their bedroom compartment lol plus loads of hay so its nice and cosey.

Thanks Katie going to p@h tomorrow so will have a look there

Cheers Lindsay the nesting box does have a floor in it but the log cabin doesnt. I too put blankets on the top and they also have a snugglesafe overnight and during the day when it is icey or snowing

I forgot to mention mine have snuggle safes too lol

It might be a good idea to take the boottom off the nesting box or build another without a bottom. I can imagine it will get very wet and need lots of airing out daily.

Hope you get it sorted :)

Cheers Lindsay been having a look at the pampered piggies site have a few ideas will let you know what i decide

If you get another log house, you could line the floor with a stick on vinyl tile, this stops it getting stained and wet. Maybe you could clean your old one and let it dry out and then stick a tile or two on?

the log house has no bottom. Was just thinking of getting more cocoons and another log cabin.still not fully decided yet 98)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back