Living quarters

shawn.laz

New Born Pup
Reaction score
so these are the current living environments for my 4 guinea pigs, and i was just wondering if this they were going to be okay to live in these not so big houses for a good while until i can figure out a way to neuter the 2 boys and put each with the female guinea pigs. i had to separate the sisters who live next to each other but separately since they can’t stand each other at all and always chatter teeth. i plan to get a bigger house for all of them once my garage is sealed and they can be kept there which is clean. i’m also going somewhere on holidays for about 2 weeks and i’ve got someone to take care of them and feed them although they have no prior knowledge about guinea pigs yet. I'm assuming they won’t clean the house of the guinea pigs which gets pretty smelly due to the pee and poo that the guinea pigs produce so i’m just going to have them top up on their bedding twice for each house (3)while i’m going

if anyone has any advice it would be really appreciated ☺️

Attachments

• IMG_0129.webp
    IMG_0129.webp
    44.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0128.webp
    IMG_0128.webp
    98.1 KB · Views: 3
Please could you tell us the measurements of each cage.
From the picture they do not look big enough - although pictures can be deceptive so having the actual measurements is what we need to be able to answer your question as to whether they are ok. The one for the boar pair certainly doesn’t look enough.

A single sow each needs a cage that is a minimum of 120x60cm.
The boar pair need 180x60cm. Lack of space for a boar pair means they may well fight.

It is also not a good idea to use hides which only have one door with a boar pair. All hides should have two doors so that there is not the risk of one piggy being trapped inside by the other and causing quite a nasty fight inside.

The boys should also have two separate hay piles (one hay rack is not enough) and we do not recommend the use of any hay racks or food bowls.
Hay racks mean they cannot get in amongst hay and play and freely forage with it.
Veg and their one tablespoon of plain pellets should be scattered into a hay pile to encourage foraging. Food bowls mean a large chunk of their enrichment and natural ability to forage is removed.
You should also have two water bottles on the boys cage.

You will have to teach the person who is looking after them how to clean their cages - they can’t go without having poops and wet bedding removed once if not twice a day, and a full clean out done at least once). Particularly as it doesn’t look like the cages are big enough, they will very quickly become very dirty and then risk their health (urine scald, bumblefoot, UTI and other bacterial issues).

Hello sorry for the late reply but just letting you know that i’m planning to purchase a 2x6 cnc cage for my boars and I'm going to use the house that the 2 guinea pigs that are in the photos and another one that is relative size for the females. Thanks for the information. And if you could would you let me know what cage you got for your pets and if they’re boars or sows. The measurements for the cages are 100x50 for the sows and 120x60 or so for the males which is clearly not ideal but again thank you

Hello sorry for the late reply but just letting you know that i’m planning to purchase a 2x6 cnc cage for my boars and I'm going to use the house that the 2 guinea pigs that are in the photos and another one that is relative size for the females. Thanks for the information. And if you could would you let me know what cage you got for your pets and if they’re boars or sows. The measurements for the cages are 100x50 for the sows and 120x60 or so for the males which is clearly not ideal but again thank you

No sadly the cages aren’t ideal, it’s good you can upgrade. A 2x6 is perfect for a boar pair.

I have boars - i currently have a bonded boar pair and a single boar who lives alongside.
I have a 3x3 c&c for my single (so that is 112x112cm)
And a 4x3 c&c for my pair (150x112cm)

Back