Living outdoors

Tink29

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi
We’ve got 2 boy Guinea pigs which we’d like to live outside in the summer months - got a 6ft hutch from home and roost. As they are quite young (approx 16 weeks) we are waiting for weather to get a bit warmer especially on a night but we are putting them outside through the day and fetching them in on a night at present and putting in a cage in the house! ! I’m hoping once temperatures better they can stay out all the time in the summer but will probably fetch them in the house in the winter months. This is ok for them? I’m slightly worried moving back and forward might not be good for them! They aren’t coming back into a hot room from outside though - I make sure the room has had window open so the temperature isn’t too different!
Thanks

Just to add I have heat pads for hutch and it is insulated and has a rain cover on aswell!

Having a plan to bring them in is not a bad idea. In summer it can sometimes get too hot that they may need bringing in. In winter, you can’t put them back outside if you bring them in. Unless you have kept the temperature the same as in their hutch. And once you bring them in (during winter) you have to wait until it’s warm enough at night.

Sounds like you got things figured out! Quick question though... if you have the ability to keep them inside when needed, why not keep them inside all the time?

Yes that’s is fine, wait until night times are 15 degrees before having them stay out at night but they are certainly fine to be out in the day time now. Night times are almost there!
As long as moving isnt causing territorial issues, then it’s fine. They will recognise the smells in each cage so know it’s still their space. Just dont fully clean out either the indoor or outdoor cage when they are not in it as when you move them back they may get upset as it won’t smell like them.

However, summer time outside is not always easy and being able to bring them in is important. Hutches trap heat so make sure you have a thermometer on the hutch and that the hutch is in the shade (although even in the shade a hot breeze can still raise the temperature inside the hutch ) and be prepared to bring them inside. Piggies are most comfortable between 18 and 22 degrees and anything over 25 is too hot. Humidity also plays a part.

My boys live in my shed year round and actually mid summer is the time when they need to move into the house usually for a period of two weeks as its simply not safe for them to be in their shed at all due to the heat.
During mid summer and the hottest days, my boys only get outside (in their run) time during the early morning and late evening when it is cool enough

In autumn, prepare to bring them back indoors again once night times are getting back down to 15 degrees. They may still be able to be out in the day for a little while after that (but indoors at night) but of course each year is different so you just have to see how things go. Usually around the end of September/October is the time to move them back inside.

Last edited:
Sounds like you got things figured out! Quick question though... if you have the ability to keep them inside when needed, why not keep them inside all the time?

It’s very common in the UK for piggies to live outside in summer but to come back inside during the winter.
Equally, to live outside year round but move inside when necessary.
This is certainly my situation. They live outside year round in a shed but I have a spare cage so they can move indoofs when it’s too hot out (which happens every summer), or when it’s too cold (which has never happened as I’ve always been able to keep them warm enough in the shed - but of course to move inside during exceptionally cold spells means they then must stay indoors for the rest of winter due to indoor to outdoor temperature fluctuation)

Last edited:
We don’t have a lot of space inside and currently they are in my sons bedroom which isn’t ideal - also we have a dog so trying to find a balance. Thank you for reply.

It’s absolutely fine to have them living outdoors during the summer and have them live indoors during the winter. Just make sure their hutch doesn’t get too hot as hutches can trap heat. Be prepared to bring them indoors if the hutch does get too hot and remember they’ll need to come in for the winter around September / October time when night time temperatures fall below 15 degrees and not go out again until May time

Aw ypu should have them inside all the time I'd feel mean putting my piggies outside 😔

Aw ypu should have them inside all the time I'd feel mean putting my piggies outside 😔
I had mine inside (wasn’t my intention) for about 3 years. I was loathe to move them outside but it was necessary. They absolutely love living outside and still interact with (me) us (the boys mainly) as they did before.

Some people don’t have a choice. And it’s not mean. As long as you keep them within their tolerable temperature range and still give the care needed. Remember they need interaction with another piggy and not us humans. We are just slaves who bring food and other nice things…and poop scoop 😁

I had mine inside (wasn’t my intention) for about 3 years. I was loathe to move them outside but it was necessary. They absolutely love living outside and still interact with (me) us (the boys mainly) as they did before.

Some people don’t have a choice. And it’s not mean. As long as you keep them within their tolerable temperature range and still give the care needed. Remember they need interaction with another piggy and not us humans. We are just slaves who bring food and other nice things…and poop scoop 😁
Haha mine get lots of interaction with other piggies I have 4 😊

I moved mine outside for the summer they are in my duck coop and the cage is at waist height, its a 4ft x 6ft pen for 4 pigs. I added screen to the cage wire to keep any bugs out so the skinny pig girls could go out as well. They do seem a lot happier.

I have always kept mine outside, in herds and small groups - now I have had to bring them all indoors permanently. I hate it, and so do they. I feel it is unnatural, and unhealthy and in all honesty I'm worried they will start to develop the health problems I see on here. I feel so guilty that they do not get to feel the sun on their backs, that I actually want to find outdoor homes for the younger ones, I can't face the idea that if I don't manage to move, they will spend their lives indoors. So not everyone likes having them indoors! But I do admit there are advantages for the owner, and so I can see why people prefer it, though I'd love to go back to them picking their own grass instead of me doing it for them!

If they remain healthy I may stop being so anti indoors, but if any of them develop problems, I will forever be convinced it was my fault for keeping them indoors!

I have always kept mine outside, in herds and small groups - now I have had to bring them all indoors permanently. I hate it, and so do they. I feel it is unnatural, and unhealthy and in all honesty I'm worried they will start to develop the health problems I see on here. I feel so guilty that they do not get to feel the sun on their backs, that I actually want to find outdoor homes for the younger ones, I can't face the idea that if I don't manage to move, they will spend their lives indoors. So not everyone likes having them indoors! But I do admit there are advantages for the owner, and so I can see why people prefer it, though I'd love to go back to them picking their own grass instead of me doing it for them!

If they remain healthy I may stop being so anti indoors, but if any of them develop problems, I will forever be convinced it was my fault for keeping them indoors!

this is actually really interesting to hear, am i right in thinking you believe keeping pigs indoors can cause health problems?

Provided the proper weather and safety precautions are taken, there’s nothing wrong with being outside. It does take work and It probably is easier having them indoors but it’s not practical for everyone.
I certainly know my two boys are happy in their shed. Yes, I do spend a lot of time heating pads in winter, get through loads of hay for bedding (and not just my piggies, as I have three outdoor rabbits as well) and have to keep a close eye on temperatures in summer and be prepared with their spare cage for their stay indoors (usually around two weeks mid summer), but the benefit is that they get over twice the amount of space living in the shed than they would have indoors.

Just so people are aware, we're meant to have some really warm weather coming in. Well into the 30s(°C) I believe so be careful when putting the pigs out and keep an eye on hutches/sheds.

@Tink29 I'd recommend getting a thermometer (I like the ones that record the lowest and highest temps of the day as well as the current temperature). Put this in the hutch and record how hot/cold it's getting in there for this time of year and even how it goes throughout the day.

Just so people are aware, we're meant to have some really warm weather coming in. Well into the 30s(°C) I believe so be careful when putting the pigs out and keep an eye on hutches/sheds.

@Tink29 I'd recommend getting a thermometer (I like the ones that record the lowest and highest temps of the day as well as the current temperature). Put this in the hutch and record how hot/cold it's getting in there for this time of year and even how it goes throughout the day.
How do you plan for it being really hot? I’m going to be at work some days so if forecast was going to be hot would you fetch them on before going to work on the morning! I do have someone who could check on them outside just after lunch though! The hutch is completely in the shade on an afternoon and doesn’t have direct wind on it x

If it’s going to be really hot you’re better off bringing them in before you go to work. I don’t know if I would leave them till after lunch to be checked on. Doesn’t it get its hottest around midday?

Thank you for the heads up @Engel better freeze those bottles.

On hot days when I’m working, then I bring them in before I leave (mine need to be out of the shed by 9am due to how warm it gets).
So if your hutch is in sun in the morning, then I would bring them in also - it can build up very quickly and lunch time could be too late.
On the very hottest summer days, my shed does not cool down at all, not even at night so once my boys come in once we get spells of very hot weather, they are in for the duration, night included (usually a couple of weeks).

On hot days when I’m working, then I bring them in before I leave (mine need to be out of the shed by 9am due to how warm it gets).
So if your hutch is in sun in the morning, then I would bring them in also - it can build up very quickly and lunch time could be too late.
On the very hottest summer days, my shed does not cool down at all, not even at night so once my boys come in once we get spells of very hot weather, they are in for the duration, night included (usually a couple of weeks).
Thank you…. Only half the hutch is in the sun on a morning for a very short time but I’ll def monitor the forecast for hot days x

If it’s going to be really hot you’re better off bringing them in before you go to work. I don’t know if I would leave them till after lunch to be checked on. Doesn’t it get its hottest around midday?

Thank you for the heads up @Engel better freeze those bottles.
Thank you for advice

How do you plan for it being really hot? I’m going to be at work some days so if forecast was going to be hot would you fetch them on before going to work on the morning! I do have someone who could check on them outside just after lunch though! The hutch is completely in the shade on an afternoon and doesn’t have direct wind on it x
So my lot are indoors and I'm probably keeping them in all year until perhaps next spring. When they were outside I'd only bring them in if it was too cold (less than 10°C in the hutch), or too hot (more than 25°C in the hutch). Their hutches are in a insulated shed and last year it got up to 40+ in there (pigs were out long before that).

One day I left them in the shed as it was a comfortable temp, went shopping, came back an hour or two later and the shed was in the low 30s. So it shows how quickly it can rise. After that I've been over cautious and if there's forecast high temps I bring them in early morning even if I'm staying home and keep shed and everything open so it doesn't trap heat.

We have a few guides for hot weather and lawn time which may be of interest
Feeding Grass And Preparing Your Piggies For Lawn Time
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

So my lot are indoors and I'm probably keeping them in all year until perhaps next spring. When they were outside I'd only bring them in if it was too cold (less than 10°C in the hutch), or too hot (more than 25°C in the hutch). Their hutches are in a insulated shed and last year it got up to 40+ in there (pigs were out long before that).

One day I left them in the shed as it was a comfortable temp, went shopping, came back an hour or two later and the shed was in the low 30s. So it shows how quickly it can rise. After that I've been over cautious and if there's forecast high temps I bring them in early morning even if I'm staying home and keep shed and everything open so it doesn't trap heat.

We have a few guides for hot weather and lawn time which may be of interest
Feeding Grass And Preparing Your Piggies For Lawn Time
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike
Thank you I’ll take a look at the links x

Back