• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Liver Disease

Kayleighmcmx

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,

My wee Guinea pig Thor for the past week has haven to be syringe fed and watered (he was 1.2kg). He was doing huge clumpy poops (I made a previous post). We went to the vet and he had bloat. They thought they felt a mass so he got an ultrasound and X-ray.

When the results came back it showed that the bloat had caused his stomach to push up into his body (that was the mass). They found that his kidneys had shrunk and were sending bloods away to confirm if it was kidney disease. (His weight went down to 972g)

We got the results back today and the vet had said that his liver is very badly damaged. His count should be 53 and he is almost 4500, so it's hepatic failure and he's lost another 100g in weight (he’s now 883g). The vet said the kindest thing to do would be PTS because there is nothing that can be done and she would expect a major hepatic infection to come.

He is eating his critical care from me but I am his sole source of food. He isn’t eating or drinking on his own (he’ll have the odd bits of hay). His poops have turned very soft light brown clumps and there’s no where near as many as a Guinea pig should have. He is still moving about his cage but it’s solely to move sleeping spots. He also has 6 different kinds of medicine - 0.94ml emeprid, 0.09ml cisapride, 0.23ml Tagamet, 1ml infacol, 0.28ml paracetamol and 0.12ml gapbapentin. The vet is a cavy savvy vet.

I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with liver disease and what happened?

I would be devastated to PTS but I understand if that’s what’s best for him then I will do it for him.

Hello,

My wee Guinea pig Thor for the past week has haven to be syringe fed and watered (he was 1.2kg). He was doing huge clumpy poops (I made a previous post). We went to the vet and he had bloat. They thought they felt a mass so he got an ultrasound and X-ray.

When the results came back it showed that the bloat had caused his stomach to push up into his body (that was the mass). They found that his kidneys had shrunk and were sending bloods away to confirm if it was kidney disease. (His weight went down to 972g)

We got the results back today and the vet had said that his liver is very badly damaged. His count should be 53 and he is almost 4500, so it's hepatic failure and he's lost another 100g in weight (he’s now 883g). The vet said the kindest thing to do would be PTS because there is nothing that can be done and she would expect a major hepatic infection to come.

He is eating his critical care from me but I am his sole source of food. He isn’t eating or drinking on his own (he’ll have the odd bits of hay). His poops have turned very soft light brown clumps and there’s no where near as many as a Guinea pig should have. He is still moving about his cage but it’s solely to move sleeping spots. He also has 6 different kinds of medicine - 0.94ml emeprid, 0.09ml cisapride, 0.23ml Tagamet, 1ml infacol, 0.28ml paracetamol and 0.12ml gapbapentin. The vet is a cavy savvy vet.

I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with liver disease and what happened?

I would be devastated to PTS but I understand if that’s what’s best for him then I will do it for him.

Hi

HUGS

I am very sorry but kidneys and liver are both organs where there is not yet any really successful medication; metabolic organs in guinea pigs seem to be more difficult in guinea pigs and there is very little if any research.

Yours sounds unfortunately pretty advanced when you take everything into account. Emeprid, tagamet (antacid) and infacol are all for the bloating. Paracetamol and gapapentin are painkillers, the latter is the strong one.

Sadly, I think that you are looking at a terminal care situation where you have to constantly assess quality of life since both kidneys and liver are all badly affected. :(

I truly wish I had better news.

This guide her talks you through it; it's the one I like least to parse in for obvious reasons but you will hopefully find it very helpful in navigating this difficult time. Terminal care gives you the option to live the remaining time - however short or long - consciously and make it count. Love transcends time and you truly can pack a lifetime's worth into just a short moment.

Back