Little Smelly Boar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamestriker

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As the title suggests, I have a little boar. Tonight is only his 4th night with us, and he pongs a bit more than the girls do. My OH brought him out for cuddles and after he put Snowy back in his cage said that he could smell him on his fleece.

Any ideas on how to reduce the wiff? He is currently in our bedroom in quarantine, and will be going in the back room with the girls in his cage after 2 weeks. I would think that he has been scent marking, having a cage all to himself.

When I first got my two boars they stank and I mean full on vile .. I know I have two so they sprayed and marked but this does die down I promise :) my tip have pee pads changed every morning and also wash fleece or anything else absorbent that the pee can soak in too which really really really smells . and if he's long haired the pee may have clung to his fur making him whiff :) hope this helps

Thank you. He's a little Rex, so curly fur with no wet patches. I changed the puppy pads under the fleece but kept the fleece in as I didn't want him to spray all over again.

At least I know that he is drinking!

He is a wriggly little one, who love his daddy and enjoys either perching on my shoulder or tucked under a chin.

Boars are a little more smelly than sows - particularly as they settle in. Good tip from MJG.

My boars like to scent their cage when it's been cleaned out and has fresh vet bed :hb:. They also re-scent it when they come in from the garden run in the summer. The smell wears off (or we get used to it) fairly quickly, I usually open a window for 10 mins to air the room. When I clean the cage out I leave a used pee pad or one hay tray unchanged, this seems to take the urgency out of re-scenting.

Hope to get used to the smell! Archie sprays me multiple times a day, rubs ball grease on me, on my pillow where i sit, farts when I cuddle him, as for his love cave my god that reeks something vile, he is like a teenage boy. This has been going for years now....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back