• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Little farts/popping noise ?

Skunks_n.bees

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone’s heard of guinea pigs making little popping noises from their bums. It kinda sounds like little farts, but I haven’t found anywhere if they do little farts. They’re eating normal and it’s not only when they breathe like a uri. It’s just little pops from their bums.

I was just wondering in case anyone thinks I should take them to the vet or if it’s a totally normal thing. Just wondering bc it scares me a little

For some bg knowledge, they’re both acting perfectly normal and this has been happening for weeks. I only notice when I’m feeding them while holding them on my chest. It’s a very quiet noise.

My boys are in the living room and last night there was a very farmyard smell. I can only think that it's the grass they are eating. I guess it's the new spring growth, after a winter of old grass things are getting very ripe. Good job we don't have visitors!

Feeding Grass And Preparing Your Piggies For Lawn Time

Yes, quite possibly. Especially as we are going into the new spring growth now. Be careful to introduce it gradually if they are not used to it as it can cause bloat. Grass is the absolute best thing they can eat after hay. We are lucky living in the South our grass doesn't stop growing it just slows down so my piggies can have it most days year round.

I have given them a little every few days so far. Should I increase the amount or frequency first?

I have given them a little every few days so far. Should I increase the amount or frequency first?
If it was me I think I would increase frequency first, they'll love you for it!
My boys usually get grass around 11am, those tummy clock alarms go off and the noise can be deafening! If they get it early because I'm going out they think they are going to get a second lot when I come back if I so much as touch the back door handle.

Once one of my boys had very bad bloat, he got a very good dosage of 2 different gut stimulants and some fibreplex, you should have heard the fart he ripped like and hour after, LMAO. Never heard anything like it before, it had to have gone on for at least 10 seconds.

I also had a "nervous tooter", he was prone to letting one go if we were having lap time and he got spooked. Always smelt exactly like a dog fart (if you know, you know). :vom::vom:

Thanks guys ! I get wicked anxious about my pets. Good to know they’re just little stinkers lol
Hi, I totally get the anxiety - sometimes I have to stop reading the posts because it gets too scary for me. I had a little smile with this one - Stan my older piggy the ginger one does some right stinky bottom burps and sometimes I hear them. Squirrel not so much but they both do them sometimes. It's a good place to come to check things out, everyone is so kind and paitent.

Back