Little bugs in hay

Butterfluf

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys

I have just went to fill up my Guinea pigs hay and noticed there are these little brown bugs everywhere. In the hay bag in the bin where we keep the hay and I don't know what to do. It's a fresh bale I can't afford to throw it out, I don't know what they are or what to do to be honest.

My dad filled up the hay last so for all I know he didn't notice so they've probably been exposed :(

Attachments

• IMG_20210528_151243.webp
    IMG_20210528_151243.webp
    28.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20210528_151446_108.webp
    IMG_20210528_151446_108.webp
    7.6 KB · Views: 31
Looks like hay mites, I know it’s a waste but personally I wouldn’t feed it. Dispose of the hay and give the bin a thorough clean incase any eggs are left xx

They aren’t guinea pig specific mites - hay mites are not visible to the naked eye - but bugs can come in with hay. I would get rid of the hay.

Would freezing the hay help? If I just froze handfuls at a time and defrosted them in warm water would that kill them? I've heard of some people doing that

I can't afford to throw out a whole bale guys :( there must be something safe I can do to kill them before feeding to them

Aw it's horrible to have to cope with. If you return the hay and get fresh hay, and clean everywhere, you can put it behind you.

Aw it's horrible to have to cope with. If you return the hay and get fresh hay, and clean everywhere, you can put it behind you.
Yeah I might do that just hopefully the next batch won't have them. Until I can change the hay though I'll just use the hair drier on the highest heat on the handfuls of hay and see if that does anything. They're pretty obvious so I don't think they're mites and I don't actually see them on the strands of hay just on the bags which is weird to me

Back