litter trays for hay piles

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
looking for recommendations for litter trays to fill with piles of hay for my girls new cage please!😆😆
is it better to get a high sided one with a opening for the ‘entrance’ or will a deep pan tray be fine?

I use potting trays from Amazon (also available at garden centres). They have three high sides and one low one. I line them with a puppy pad and newspaper.x

We use shallow boot trays, for floor time, lined with newspaper.
Still hay everywhere, despite best efforts to keep it contained!

I don’t bother in the boys home- just have a hay pile on a noodle bathmat. Shakes off easily. Hope you find something that works for you.

I've given up as they kept dragging the hay all over the cage anyway. I now just put a pile on the cage floor. I used to use pet carriers with the doors taken off or cat litter trays. Small/cat dog beds are good too as they have a low front.

IMG_0060 (1).webpIMG_0733.webp

I've given up as they kept dragging the hay all over the cage anyway. I now just put a pile on the cage floor. I used to use pet carriers with the doors taken off or cat litter trays. Small/cat dog beds are good too as they have a low front.

View attachment 213681View attachment 213682
thanks so much!
haha thats so funny🤣 i wonder how long it’ll last with my girls!

thanks so much! the litter tray i was looking at with high sides is basically just this but bigger made for cats so i may just go with that one! i was just worried about it having one ‘entrace’ if that makes sense?

I always used stackable tool storage bins from the DIY store (not stacked obviously).
They are a decent size and do a good job of containing the hay quite well, plus they can comfortably fit 2 piggies if yours are inclined to share.
In our house this only applied to Eddi and Oreo.
Oreo Is Lost By Eddi

tempImage14Idyf.webp

We found that as they got older they did seem to struggle a bit jumping in and out, so we made an 'old lady' walk in hay try using a collapsable plastic crate, with one side cable tied open to use as the door, and the rest lined with correx.
The Old Lady Hay Tray by Ruby

Back