Litter Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

DawnyD

New Born Pup
Reaction score
we are new GP owners. we have had our two girls for 2 weeks and they are settling in nicely.

I've been trying to keep their two tiered outdoor hutch clean but am amazed at how much poop they produce. I've been looking out for a favourite place that they go but they seem to go everywhere! our rescue told us not to use sawdust - just newspaper and hay so a daily or every other day clean out is needed as its not so absorbent. spot cleaning just doesn't seem to be working. today we bought a litter tray and placed it in a corner that they were weeing and put some soiled hay in .... not sure if it will work! I'm also wondering if I should change bedding to fleece or other so not a waste of hay!

any advice please?

thank you!

They do produce loads don't they? They have to eat loads of hay because there is so little in it by way of nutrition so there is loads of waste. I don't think they have a great deal of control over their bum, it just pops out as they run! I find more in the places that my pigs like to spend most time, so I have a couple of trays of hay that they sit in lots and they go in there. Means there is a waste of hay as I change it a couple of times a day but hay isn't expensive really so I'm good with that.

I would consider adding an absorbent layer over the top of the newspaper.
We use Auboise and find it stays dry on top and keeps the smell to a minimum. Plus lots of poops get buried, so it stays pretty fresh.
It does still require a full clean out at least every 6 - 7 days though.

Maybe this thread on bedding types will help.
Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back