Litter Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Lennon

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am wondering what the best way of encouraging pigs to toilet in the same place.

Hurricane currently pees in maybe 3 places in his cage and the piglets seem fairly indiscriminate.

I would like to move to fleece cage lining and have a litter area, how do you make this a success? Are there any ways to encourage them to go in one place? What's the best set up for a litter tray? Are they more likely to do this as they get older?

Thanks!

mine are sort of litter trained. have them in c&c cages with litter trays in with newspaper, shavings and hay but am changing wood shaving fo something else. There is a fleece pegged over the cage where the litter trays are as they like peeing in private. Very rare for them to pee anywhere else but they do poop everywhere.Only have to change extra towels and fleece (put where they have a pee now and then) every three days and main fleece weekly. Have puppy pads under main fleece. Works really well for me but maybe I'm just lucky with my girls. If you use hay racks put litter trays under them as they pee as they eat.My water bottles are above my litter trays too

When I moved Edward onto fleece I put hay in his litter tray and he toilet trained himself so after a few days of him doing this I came on here and had a little brag about it, I am convinced to this day that he somehow found out because on the same day he stopped using his litter tray to toilet in and just use to sit in it eating his hay with what I can only describe as a smirk on his face.so my advice is don't bother :D

When I moved Edward onto fleece I put hay in his litter tray and he toilet trained himself so after a few days of him doing this I came on here and had a little brag about it, I am convinced to this day that he somehow found out because on the same day he stopped using his litter tray to toilet in and just use to sit in it eating his hay with what I can only describe as a smirk on his face.so my advice is don't bother :D
Lol!

Thanks everyone, I may well try a litter area when switching to fleece As they may show some preference (esp if hay lined etc as suggested) but from what you guys say I won't put any money on it being successful!

I've only very had one who I could say was litter trained and I've given up now! The cleanest of the current 4 is my neutered boar, but even he is a bit careless. It's true that the sleeping areas get the worst of the wees and poos, followed by the hay trays in my cages, but they really do wee and poo everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back