Litter/Hay Tray

rattata

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all! Hope this is the right section to post my query! (happy to move to another section if needed šŸ˜…)

Iā€™m currently sourcing potential products for a pair of pigs Iā€™m hoping to rehome. I was thinking that in the hay box I could maybe put a kind of litter tray with a grid insert, so that while sitting in the hay and eating, the wees will go through the grid and not damped the hay too much. The ones Iā€™ve seen online being advertised for both rabbits and guinea pigs look as though the spacing of the grids might be far too wide for piggy feet - Iā€™d be worried their paws would get trapped?
Alternatively I was thinking of putting one of those fine metal paper trays in the hay box, but as Iā€™m a newbie to guinea pigs Iā€™m not sure if the very fine wire grid would be at all uncomfortable for them, even with all the hay on top?
any opinions on this would be appreciated, as would any alternative suggestions ā˜ŗļø

I myself have looked at these and for several reasons I personally consider them all unsuitable. My boys have a large cat litter tray. I used to use a layer of wood shavings but have since changed to wood based litter pellets as they absorb urine smell much more efficiently. I cover this with a very thick layer of hay. Daily I remove the soiled hay and replace with fresh.
A lot of people have a hay pile but my boys are very good at doing most of their weeing in the tray so it keeps the fleece nicer for them.

I myself have looked at these and for several reasons I personally consider them all unsuitable. My boys have a large cat litter tray. I used to use a layer of wood shavings but have since changed to wood based litter pellets as they absorb urine smell much more efficiently. I cover this with a very thick layer of hay. Daily I remove the soiled hay and replace with fresh.
A lot of people have a hay pile but my boys are very good at doing most of their weeing in the tray so it keeps the fleece nicer for them.
What were the main reasons if you donā€™t mind me asking?
Yes - I do also quite like the wood pellet idea too actually

I really don't like the idea of grids being stood on. It can irritate the feet as there's uneven pressure on them and they are just a breeding ground for bacteria as they're a pain to clean properly. I just use a tray, add some litter then hay on top. Remove 1-2 times a day and replace with fresh. Remove soiled litter at this time too. Normally I could do 2-3 days before completely emptying the tray and adding all fresh litter and hay.

They are not suitable or safe (I wouldnā€™t even use them for my rabbits to be honest).
Donā€™t use anything with any kind of wire insert at all - they arenā€™t safe and risk sore feet and trapped toes. Piggies donā€™t mind if they pee and poop on their hay.

Just line a large cat litter tray with something absorbent and fill it with hay. To be honest though piggies canā€™t be litter trained so while they do tend and pee and poop where they eat, you are going to find wet patches and poops everywhere in the cage.

I donā€™t use any kind of litter tray and instead I just fill my enclosures with softchip bedding and top fully with hay. Spot clean twice a day, replacing wet areas and a full clean once every 5-7 days

I really don't like the idea of grids being stood on. It can irritate the feet as there's uneven pressure on them and they are just a breeding ground for bacteria as they're a pain to clean properly. I just use a tray, add some litter then hay on top. Remove 1-2 times a day and replace with fresh. Remove soiled litter at this time too. Normally I could do 2-3 days before completely emptying the tray and adding all fresh litter and hay.
Yes, these are the reasons why what I thought might be a good idea, doesnā€™t actually look species appropriate at all šŸ¤”

Yeh that was my thinking too, that all those trays advertised for both rabbits and guinea pigs arenā€™t species appropriate at all. I used to work as a pro equine groom so Iā€™m thinking piggies will be a breeze ā€œmucking outā€ compared to the horses šŸ˜…

They are not suitable or safe (I wouldnā€™t even use them for my rabbits to be honest).
Donā€™t use anything with any kind of wire insert at all - they arenā€™t safe and risk sore feet and trapped toes. Piggies donā€™t mind if they pee and poop on their hay.

Just line a large cat litter tray with something absorbent and fill it with hay. To be honest though piggies canā€™t be litter trained so while they do tend and pee and poop where they eat, you are going to find wet patches and poops everywhere in the cage.

I donā€™t use any kind of litter tray and instead I just fill my enclosures with softchip bedding and top fully with hay. Spot clean twice a day, replacing wet areas and a full clean once every 5-7 days
Sorry I got my replying mixed up!

Yes, these are the reasons why what I thought might be a good idea, doesnā€™t actually look species appropriate at all šŸ¤”

Yeh that was my thinking too, that all those trays advertised for both rabbits and guinea pigs arenā€™t species appropriate at all. I used to work as a pro equine groom so Iā€™m thinking piggies will be a breeze ā€œmucking outā€ compared to the horses šŸ˜…
Yes, they're also not big enough. I used a rabbit litter box (with grid removed) for my rats as a litter box and as a sandbath for a hamster. I can't see a pig or rabbit even fitting in them at all!

Yes mucking out pigs will be a breeze in comparison. You can use hay and shavings marketed for equine/livestock for the pigs too if you have space to store it. Currently have a hay bale in the shed for the pigs and often sit on it when having cuddles with them.

Yes, they're also not big enough. I used a rabbit litter box (with grid removed) for my rats as a litter box and as a sandbath for a hamster. I can't see a pig or rabbit even fitting in them at all!

Yes mucking out pigs will be a breeze in comparison. You can use hay and shavings marketed for equine/livestock for the pigs too if you have space to store it. Currently have a hay bale in the shed for the pigs and often sit on it when having cuddles with them.
Yes exactly that - Iā€™ve got a garden shed I can keep 20kg bags in. Iā€™ll probably be ordering from Millbryhill as their selection of bedding and hay is pretty decent value.
Oh I love that - a good bale of hay smells amazing šŸ˜‹

Back