• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Listeria outbreak in US

Kaiaa

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey all, I had a couple questions I need help with. So today this afternoon I just heard about a large scale listeria outbreak for vegetables and the store I shop at was affected and had recalled all of the veggies I normally buy for my girls.

Because I didn’t know about this until literally 15 minutes ago, I had freshly cut up some veggies for them and fed it to them last night and this morning! I feel so bad!

So far they are acting normal and have normal poops but I was wondering if listeria could make them sick and what signs in need to watch out for just in case. Is it okay for them to be without vegetables for a while? They have access to fresh hay all day and I have a bag of pellets I use as supplemental food I could give them more if needed. I’m just really nervous and feel awful I may have made them sick!

I’ve just done a very quick google search and I think I see that they can be affected by it.
Best thing would be to contact your vet for accurate advice.

They will be fine without veg.
Please do not be tempted to give extra pellets. There is no benefit in doing so - it’s not healthy to do so.

Hey all, I had a couple questions I need help with. So today this afternoon I just heard about a large scale listeria outbreak for vegetables and the store I shop at was affected and had recalled all of the veggies I normally buy for my girls.

Because I didn’t know about this until literally 15 minutes ago, I had freshly cut up some veggies for them and fed it to them last night and this morning! I feel so bad!

So far they are acting normal and have normal poops but I was wondering if listeria could make them sick and what signs in need to watch out for just in case. Is it okay for them to be without vegetables for a while? They have access to fresh hay all day and I have a bag of pellets I use as supplemental food I could give them more if needed. I’m just really nervous and feel awful I may have made them sick!

Hi

HUGS

How worrying for you!

Try to get some dry forage instead once you can get hold of it and do not up your pellets. They can survive without fresh veg for a while; hay is the one food item they cannot do without.

The symptoms of listeria are the same as in the human population but the ones at a higher risk are the older/frail and embryos (stillbirths). Please contact a vet asap if you notice signs of them being off (fever, loss of appetite from feeling nauseous, diarrhea etc.)

Make sure that you always wash your veg before use, especially salad in bags.

Last edited:
I am so sorry to hear this.
Hope your piggies will remain healthy.
They will survive without veggies but will probably be cross with you for the deprivation.
Hope the listeria outbreak is quickly sorted out

What veg are affected? I'm in the states as well.
Wiers Farm, Inc Expands Voluntary Recall on Whole and Salad Cucumbers Due to Possible Contamination with Listeria

I heard about it in passing and had to google it but here’s a list from the American fda. My cucumbers and green bell peppers are on the list :(

Thank you all for warning me about giving more pellets, I don’t want to do any damage to them than I may already have. Thankfully I do wash the vegetables so I’m really hoping the bacteria had been washed away but it just makes me so nervous because I don’t know for sure if it did or if I didn’t wash them well enough! I will watch them like hawks this next week and weigh them daily just to be super sure. Oh I really hope we were one of the lucky ones who didn’t have contaminated vegetables 😭

Wiers Farm, Inc Expands Voluntary Recall on Whole and Salad Cucumbers Due to Possible Contamination with Listeria

. Oh I really hope we were one of the lucky ones who didn’t have contaminated vegetables 😭
Unless I've seriously misunderstood the FDA notice, it's more like you would be very unlucky if you did have contaminated veg, rather than the other way round :nod: They seem to have done the recall out of caution and it says that there have been no reports of illness linked to this producer's veg.

Can you give them fresh clean grass while you are waiting to get more veg for the piggies?

Unless I've seriously misunderstood the FDA notice, it's more like you would be very unlucky if you did have contaminated veg, rather than the other way round :nod: They seem to have done the recall out of caution and it says that there have been no reports of illness linked to this producer's veg.

Can you give them fresh clean grass while you are waiting to get more veg for the piggies?
That makes me feel a lot better honestly! They’re still happy and don’t seem to be acting any different so that’s a relief. I think you’re right that it was probably more of a precautionary move. Thank you all for helping to direct me through this, I was just so worried about them!

Worrying is a natural reaction when we love our piggies.
The forum is a great place for reassurance and calming, supportive messages.
Glad it doesn’t seem as serious as initially thought

Back