• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lipoma?

• Thread starter Thread starter ksiusha237
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

ksiusha237

Hello everyone :)
I was wondering what is the texture of lipoma? My guinea pig has a growth under the chin for now a few months, and he has had no problems , eating, energetic and very much himself. I am thinking that it could be lipoma. The texture is hard, sort of. Not soft, almost circular under the chin. It is moveable, but seems attatched to something. I am wondering what this can be. I appreciate anybodys help.

Has anybody experienced this before?

Thank you very much,
Ksiusha
The pigs: Shura & Hriusha

This could be a tumour,not necissarily malignant. If it was an abcess it would have burst by now,.It could possibly be a cyst or a harmless fatty lump.,but under the chin is an unusual site for these.I would have it checked by a vet.

My piggie Chopsie has just had a similar lump successfully removed - it was a fatty lump and she seems much more comfortable now :)

Not exactly under the chin, but next to the space next to the chin. The vet has looked at it, and they were unsure what it could be. They said if he begins to not eat, and not be his usual self to worry, but according to his condition he is okay. I am a fraid for my guinea pig to have surgery, he is not bothered by it and carries on as his usual self. What is malignant? I think if he has had it for so many months, it is nothing then. What do you think?

-Ksiusha

He may just have a fatty lump like Karenza's little piggie :-\
Have they done a biopsy at all?
If he's eating and seems happy, well i suppose it's up to you and the vets to just keep an eye on it O0

Malignant means cancerous :(

Our boy has a fatty lump that's been there now for probably 2 years and it hasn't got any bigger so we've made the decision not to have it removed :)

Good luck with your little piggie we'll have our paws crossed for him :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
btw is it Shura or Hriusha that has the lump?

Hi,

It does sound like a lipoma. Appart from Chopsie, Weekes has had one removed from his back and Watkins had two removed from his tum (definitely a lipomas - the vet showed them to me). All of them have made a full recovery from the surgery and are full of beans (I chose to have them removed as each piggy is relatively young and it meant I didn't have the worry if the lipomas had got bigger in future, but I fully understand the watchful waiting option and did consider it carefully).

Hello,
It is Shura that has this growth, Hriusha does not. :)
Can Lipoma become serious?
Yes he is eating very well, running around and very energetic as he usually acts. When I touch this he is not bothered by it at all. It does have a firm surface, making me think it can be lipoma or a fatty lump. Fatty lumps do not grow very fast do they? It seems to me that it is not growing fast, seems to stay the same. I think it is not an abcess because it is not growing so fast.
He has not had a biopsy done. He was going to because the vet said they can do a biopsy, but it was not urgent. They said they had to sedate him, and this made me nervous thinking what if he does not wake up. But I will definitly keep a close eye on it.
Yes, as long as he remains his usual self and I monitor his growth then I think we will just keep it. If I notice anything strange, I will take him to the vet.

I appreciate all your help.

Is it true that cancerous growths are not able to be moved? Because shura's growth is very moveable. I hope this is true.

-Ksiusha

Fatty lumps are moveable,you can put your fingers round them.Tumours,especially if they are malignant,are normally attached.They do not move freely and you cannot put your fingers right round them.

A vet should be able to do a biopsy without sedation.It might be worth having one done to put your mind at rest.

A cancerous tumor does not move freely and cannot put your hands around it? Why is this? Because of the shape? This does not fit the description of Shura's growth, I do think it is a fatty lump. But Ican just let it be if he is normal, right? Yes I am a bit crazy, but feeling much better now that I know it is very small chance that it is cancerous.

-Ksiusha

Sweetie you're not crazy just a very concerned piggie mum :smitten:
Duke has a fatty lump as i've told you, it's about the size of a pea and it can be gently moved i've been told not to worry about it but i do check it and so does the vet each time he goes just in case :)
Our other little piggie also had a fatty lump on his side and again we were told not to worry about it O0

Yes, I am very much overly concerned for my little piglets :) They are too adorable. I am glad it can be nothing, it seems to not bother him. Every time we will go to the vet I will definitly ask them to check it. Thank you all for the help :)

Glynis, where is your guinea pig's fatty lump located? I think Shura's is a bit bigger than a pea. but not to much.

Ksiusha
and the pigs

Hi love
Duke's is on his right side just under or near the jaw bone and Sully's was on his back near the top of his leg :)
You will be the best judge of whether it's grown, i know the size of Duke's so keep in mind what size Shura's is O0

Yes, you are right. Today it feels actually like it is shrinking, so keep your fingers crossed.

Ksiusha

Hi,
So I've still been following this growth in Shura's neck. It seems to me that it is not as moveable as before. It is moveable but slightly less moveable. It is definitly attatched to something and it seems this attatchment has become a litttle stronger.

Any ideas?

Ksiusha

He eats well and is himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back