• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Light pink urine

Doaa

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Please help. My piggie gave birth 6 weeks ago. Since then she started to loose appetite and weight, and she got diarrhea. The vet made a culture for her stool and gave her ciprofar antibiotic for 10 days and pro pet powder, and he trimmed her teeth because they were over grown, but trimmed them too much and made a gap between the upper and lower encisors.
Now her diarrhea is mostly solved, and she started to get her appetite back.
So now I feed her Romanian lettuce and grass only with a syringe.
The problem now is her urine is light pink/orange since she was taking the antibiotic (as far as I remember). It is clear while wet and turns light pink when drys.
What is her problem? What should I give her?

Do you mean you’re blending the romaine lettuce and grass? They really need fibre so he needs to be eating hay. If she can’t then you need to syringe feed her some recovery food that has fibre in it. Or, if you give her pellets, you can soak them in warm water and syringe them to her. Veg are more of a snack, with hay being the most important part of their diet (80%).

You will need to switch to weighing her daily at the same time. If she is still losing weight then you need to increase the amount you syringe feed her. You are aiming for minimum 60ml in a 24 hour period.

Their teeth are continuously growing but are kept at the correct length by eating hay and grass. Unfortunately there aren’t many vets experienced in treating guinea pigs’ teeth. Hopefully they will grow back quickly and she can go back to eating by herself.

Have a read of the guides I’ve linked to below. Hopefully some of the recovery foods are available where you are. Do keep us posted on how your girl is doing.

As an aside, what happened to the pups? Did you separate any boars at 3 weeks or 250g?

Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Do you mean you’re blending the romaine lettuce and grass? They really need fibre so he needs to be eating hay. If she can’t then you need to syringe feed her some recovery food that has fibre in it. Or, if you give her pellets, you can soak them in warm water and syringe them to her. Veg are more of a snack, with hay being the most important part of their diet (80%).

You will need to switch to weighing her daily at the same time. If she is still losing weight then you need to increase the amount you syringe feed her. You are aiming for minimum 60ml in a 24 hour period.

Their teeth are continuously growing but are kept at the correct length by eating hay and grass. Unfortunately there aren’t many vets experienced in treating guinea pigs’ teeth. Hopefully they will grow back quickly and she can go back to eating by herself.

Have a read of the guides I’ve linked to below. Hopefully some of the recovery foods are available where you are. Do keep us posted on how your girl is doing.

As an aside, what happened to the pups? Did you separate any boars at 3 weeks or 250g?

Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Thanks for your reply. I will read the links. But what about her urine? Why is it pink? Is this normal?

Are you sure the urine is pink or could it be a rusty / orange colour? If pink, it could be blood which would mean a vet visit for further investigations, if rusty / orange it could just be oxidised urine as guinea pig urine can oxidise when it reaches the air. There is no need for concern if it is oxidised urine

If it was blood in urine I think it would be in a separate ‘puddle’ to the urine. It’s difficult to tell whether it’s pink or oxidised ruing from the photo though.

Are you sure the urine is pink or could it be a rusty / orange colour? If pink, it could be blood which would mean a vet visit for further investigations, if rusty / orange it could just be oxidised urine as guinea pig urine can oxidise when it reaches the air. There is no need for concern if it is oxidised urine

If it was blood in urine I think it would be in a separate ‘puddle’ to the urine. It’s difficult to tell whether it’s pink or oxidised ruing from the photo though.

This is the color. What do u think?

Attachments

• 20210708_195619.webp
    20210708_195619.webp
    14.5 KB · Views: 7
To be honest, it doesn’t look like blood to me as blood usually dries as a red / pink spot in the middle of a clear puddle or with a brown rim if there’s a lot a blood. But if in doubt, please have her vet checked

To be honest, it doesn’t look like blood to me as blood usually dries as a red / pink spot in the middle of a clear puddle or with a brown rim if there’s a lot a blood. But if in doubt, please have her vet checked
So if it is not blood, should I forget about it or should I give her something?

Back