• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lice :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjpm

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Well both my guinea pigs have lice. I've only just noticed today, and I'm not sure they've had them long because I would have noticed. I bought some of the shampoo that kills them by coincidence yesterday. Can I shampoo them now or shall I wait til tomorrow? The only problem with tomorrow is that I'm at work all day.

How can they have caught them? I got them 3 months ago and the bedding gets changed regularly, and they havent been near any other piggies since then. Could they have got it from the hay?

I'd bathe A.S.A.P. and throw out the hay and replace with a new bag. Clean out their cages thoroughly with a mild soap and hot water and then rinse off with plain warm water and dry thoroughly. All bedding if it's cloth should be washed in hot water as this will kill off any nasty germs or bugs. This will now start you with a clean envionment, also if they've any toys or housing etc... wash in hot sudsy water and rinse off with water, if you've any wooden play toys i'd personally throw them out as they could be infected.
Sorry i should've said Welcome to the forum first from OZ :)
You've done a good job to notice it so quickly O0
There's many threads on here that you could refer to, go searching this should help you O0
All the very best of luck, keep us informed how you go love :)

Be sure to check your piggies regularly for any scabbed or sore spots... could mean mites as well..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back