• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lice Advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I took in a guinea pig who had really bad lice - the vet did a sellotape test (!) and identified the lice and gave me Xeno 450. The poor pig was absolutely crawling with them - look like tiny maggots, you could see them wriggling on his rump and behind his ears. I treated him with Xeno and the lice have gone - but now I have noticed there are eggs under his back legs and I can't get rid of them - they are like tiny sticky balls and even a mite comb doesn't pull them out - they just stick fast. Can I bath him, even though I've treated with Xeno, or will the Xeno have killed the eggs too and they'll drop off eventually? The vet didn't seem sure and I don't want the whole cycle to start again because he is underweight as it is and I want him to be well!

Any advice?

I have treated the hutch with the hutch spray for lice and am cleaning him out more often than usual in case it's in the bedding.

Where do the lice come from? Horrible things!

Thanks

Sophie

the cycle will start all over again if the eggs arent gone soon as theyll hatch and breed :-\
They may be dead as you said but ive no idea on lice as mine have never had them ? Try GG products O0

Ivermectin is inafective against lice,it only works on mites.

Thewre is a website called WWW.gorgeousguineas.com they sell a shampoo callled Lice and Easy which I have not used on my piggies,but I know that a lot of forum members have used it with very good results.I think this is the best way for you to treat your piggy.

I do not use any sprays in my house,but that is just personal choice. I find that vinigar is very good for cleaning,and it should kill off any lice in the hutch. No one seems to know for sure where the lice come from,but a good theory is that they could come from hay.

I was told they can be in the hay, perhaps someone will confirm that. ( Mary just did)

Gorgeous guineas lice n easy was fantastic on mine when they had lice.

Thank you, I have ordered some lice shampoo from Gorgeous Guineas earlier today, let's hope that sorts it!

Makes me feel itchy just thinking about it!

Thank you all

Sophie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back