• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lice Advice

• Thread starter Thread starter MesmerizeK
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MesmerizeK

I started off with 2 sows just a few days ago and ended up with an additional one today, making it 3 altogether. It's a longggg story, will save for another day!

Anyway, this new sow has/had lice and was treated with Advantage a day before I picked her up. Being so new at all this, I completely forgot to do the whole quarantine thing and one of my own sows and this new one ended up being together in a travel carrier for about 3 minutes (don't worry, aside from the lice, this new one is in perfect health and condition). They were huddled together in a back corner. I was told about the lice AFTERWARDS, which was obviously a little late and I wasn't all that happy when I found out.

But what's done is done and although I separated them after 3 minutes of being together, I know I'm running the risk of having had the lice transferred to my own sow. Advantage is supposed to kill the adult lice within 12-24 hours and continue to kill for the next 30 days, with the exception of eggs. I will be treating her again in four weeks, just to be safe. She is in a completely different room now from my other two sows. HOWEVER, do you think it's safe to treat my two with Advantage, too, even though it may not have been transmitted to them? Is it safe or should I wait and see whether they have caught it, too, and then treat? And since I will be treating them ALL with Advantage regardless, do you think I should put them together now or wait it out? The new sow seems depressed and lonely without any company, I don't really want to leave her alone for four weeks by herself.

Any advice or opinions?

Ugh, I'm kicking myself for not thinking and letting this happen :tickedoff:
I just made so much more work for myself :(

Sorry to hear about the lice problem. I'm sure someone with more knowledge on this will answer soon, but until then do you know about the http://www.gorgeousguineas.com/index.html website? A lot of members on this forum use their products. Also, you can email Chrissie who runs the website, she will email you back with advice - I have emailed her before, she is a very nice lady and is very knowledgeable when it comes to skin problems with guineas.

:) Gorgeous Guineas Lice N Easy is great for getting rid of lice. As Emily said take a look at the website for some good advice :)

Definatly the best treatment is Gorgeous Guineas Lice n Easy and a good flea comb!

Sian said:
Are these the same as the head lice humans get? ?
Nope, I've read that they are species-specific. I was more afraid it'd get transmitted to my other furries!

MesmerizeK said:
Nope, I've read that they are species-specific. I was more afraid it'd get transmitted to my other furries!

Piggy lice are much smaller than human head lice. I would highly recommend Lice n Easy as well - not only does it treat but it makes white piggies whiter and all piggies shinier!

[/quote]

Oh right, thanks for that MesmerizeK. I wasn't worried about getting them from a furry, I was worried that the furries could get them from us as they seem to love my youngest sons head! It's a constant battle & I was worried about my furries getting them from him! :D

Thanks for all the replies!

The shampoo sounds awesome but unfortunately, I'm in Canada and can only imagine how much shipping would be. I'm still going to drop her an e-mail to inquire about it, though.

Has anyone ever used and had success with Advantage?

I use a spot on from the vets cant remember what it is called off hand. You have to weigh the piggies and how heavy they are to how many drops. It lasts 4-6 wheeks, similar to the cat and dog spot ons you put it on the shoulder blades. I haven't had any trouble and it really does work

MesmerizeK said:
Thanks for all the replies!

The shampoo sounds awesome but unfortunately, I'm in Canada and can only imagine how much shipping would be. I'm still going to drop her an e-mail to inquire about it, though.

Has anyone ever used and had success with Advantage?

Chrissie does ship abroad and the charges are very reasonable.

Thanks everyone! :)

I talked to my vet today, too - he said that Advantage is very effective at killing lice, so I picked up a box today and treated all three girls. I will disinfect their cage tomorrow and then they'll be treated again in four weeks. Hopefully by then, it'll be all over with. Boy, have I learned my lesson!

If anyone's interested in reading up more about this, check out: http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2488

Again, thank you and I will have pics up in the gallery section soon! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back