Lettuce shortage

My Piggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Bit of a crisis over here in Queensland at the moment. Because of the recent floods, there is an extreme lettuce shortage. I don't currently have any lettuce of any kind and it is impossible to find anywhere. Is there anything I could substitute it with for the moment? I'll be going to the shops tomorrow, but I don't expect to find anything (other than iceberg, but that's not good for piggies obviously). They are currently getting their usual minus the lettuce (so coriander, capsicum and either cucumber or celery).
Any advice is much appreciated ☺️

They’ll be fine, mine don’t always get lettuce. I usually give something leafy, so that would be lettuce or herbs or grass and then a piece of pepper, cucumber, a bit of celery or carrot if I’ve got some, the occasional cherry tomato, broccoli stem, sugarsnap pea, sweetcorn. Not all at once, a selection!

They’ll be fine, mine don’t always get lettuce. I usually give something leafy, so that would be lettuce or herbs or grass and then a piece of pepper, cucumber, a bit of celery or carrot if I’ve got some, the occasional cherry tomato, broccoli stem, sugarsnap pea, sweetcorn. Not all at once, a selection!
:agr: We tend to rotate through leafy greens depending on what looks good in the shops or what we're cooking that week - the only time it seems to cause trouble is if I've allowed the supplies to run low just before a shopping day :)) Lettuce is quick and easy to grow here, would that be an option for you?

Back