• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lethargic and crusty nose

• Thread starter Thread starter Braethedug
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Braethedug

Hi, I am a new owner of 2 lovely wee piggies .. yesterday all was well but today one of them is very lethargic, has a crusty nose and feels very cold to the touch. All he seems to do is lie down and refuses to move. I am very concerned and plan to take him to the vet tomorrow but does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to help him overnight?

Hi and welcome. :)

It could be a Upper Respitry infection. For that antibiotics are needed and if your pig is not eating then you will need to mash some pellets up and spoon feed, I would also give some water. :)

Good luck at the vets, and keep us posted.

Louise
x

Sorry to hear your pig is poorly - keep him warm and dry until you can get him to the vet!

Fingers crossed for the little guy - and welcome to the forum!

:)

welcome to the guinea pig forum from us from australia. please give your little baby warm, try feeding feeding him some baby food puree like apple or carrot, also give him some pre boiled water. or some of this criitical care everyone talks about. if your baby isn't eating i would try and get him into the vet today, which i guess it is today now where you are. good luck with the little mite. sending hugs and cuddles. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

awww poor baby! :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: (((hugs))) keep him warm, syringe water and mashed up pellets or critical care/science recovery if you have any and see a vet asap O0

Thanks everyone ... unfortunately wee Java died on the way to the vet. It seems it was a respiratory disease that he came with (I only had him for a week). We took the other to the vet for a check up and he is absolutely fine. We have contacted the pet shop and they have accepted that he was probably ill when he was sold to us and have offered a free replacement... the problem I have now is that I am new to owning guinea pigs (although I have 4 dogs and 3 cats and numerous fish!) ... I understand that it better for wee piggies to have a companion but that it can be difficult to introduce them to each other ... any tips or advice... I am planning to wait for a week or so to make sure that our remaining wee man (mocha) is fine before I find a companion for him.

Oh love i'm so so sorry :'( :'( :'( :'(
RIP Java 0:) 0:) 0:) run free at the bridge, there's lots of lovely piggies there for you to play with and to explore all the wonderful green pastures :-* :-* :-*
(((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))) and piggie kisses from us to help you all, good luck with little Mocha :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I'm sorry love it didn't sound good what you described :'( :'( you did everything for the little one... he at least knew that he was loved and cared for whilst with you :) :) :)

Oh no I am so sorry. Yes they do better in pairs can you get a refund from the pet shop. There are lots of pigs in rescues looking for homes and the people that run rescues won't give you a pig unless the pig is healthy. :) If the petshop won't refund why not just buy some food or bedding from them.

Good luck,

Louise
x

i am so sorry to hear sweet java is now in piggy heaven. he knew you loved him and now he is at peace and running free. as to intoducing a new piggy, why not divide your cage with a cooling rack tied with cable ties so the piggies can smell and see each other and at play time let them be together supervised. making it longer each time. hoping all goes well. keep little java in your heart and he'll always be with you. 0:) 0:) 0:) :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:RIP java angel.

as sunshine said it may be upper respirity infection take him to the vets and just keep him warm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back