• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lethal white, how do i proceed?

Trollollpup

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi. This morning one my guinea pig delivered 3 babies (I want to clarify, I'm not a breeder, I bought the mama guinea pig 8 weeks ago and we didn't know she was pregnant) and one of them is a lethal white. One of the babies upper tooth is missing and I think her lower tooth aren't completely developed. And her eyes are small and a milky grey colour. I don't know what to do. Please any advice is appreciated.

I'm afraid I have no advice, just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

I'm sure someone will be here soon to advise but yes from what I've read on here they can still live wonderful lives 💐

Hello and welcome to the forum.

@Eriathwen has two lethal whites called Forrest and Silver. They have just celebrated their 3rd birthday. So yes they can definitely live a fulfilling life.

They will need extra care and attention. They may need feeding support and dental work carried out. Good luck I hope they are not too badly affected.

Will she need softer/mushed food? Is mum accepting her and letting her feed?

Hi

BIG HUGS

What a nasty shock for you.

Please check whether mother is nursing the pup and they are drinking. Weigh your pup daily fuirst thing in the morning.

Please have a look at this website and contact @furryfriends (TEAS) during reasonable daytime hours if you need advice re. dental and medical support care. She has looked after and is still looking after a string of lethal piggies, including youngsters for well over a decade now (including with different levels of severity).
The Excellent Adventure Sanctuary (which is in Northampton UK)

Hello, sorry it's taken me so long to reply, but it's been a very long summer, working huge amount of hours, as well as running TEAS!

Lethal white piggies can lead a really good life and as they have never been able to see or hear, they don't miss those senses and their other senses are more heightened, so they can manage really well. In fact they tend to be much more laid back than a 'normal' piggy who finds life can be quite stressful, as a prey species.

Do you have a vet who can deal with the dental issue that is looking likely with your baby piggy? Please don't let your vet remove the remaining incisors. We have recently taken on some lethal white piggies, where the previous rescue had all the incisors removed, as they had one missing, thinking that it would mean they wouldn't need ongoing veterinary care. However, this has made it much more difficult for them to eat, as they need to pick up food with their lips and get it into their mouths far enough, that they can grab it with their cheek teeth. Also, it is looking like the removal of the incisors has damaged the roots of the first few back teeth, so all in all it has been a disaster. We are managing this, but it is needing very frequent vet trips. However, for those who have kept the incisors they were born with, they just need occasional burring of those teeth, as they sometimes get a bit long, as they don't always have an opposing tooth to wear against.

When we first had lethal white piggies, I would always keep their cage lay out the same, but then I got to thinking that must be very boring for them, so now I change things around and they soon figure it out! I always pair them with other piggies, lethal or normal, as they need company just the same as any other piggy does. I have had a lethal white neutered, who came to us with his dad, but when he reached adolescence he fell out with daddy and wouldn't pair with any other boars, so he was neutered and six weeks later he got two lady friends to love.

How is your little one doing so far. Are they feeding off mum? Do you know whether they are male or female? If they aren't feeding off mum you can always give brown bread soaked in goats milk and they will often suck that from the bread.

Back