• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lectade, calcium, ivermectin

• Thread starter Thread starter piggymix
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

piggymix

Hi,
I am just starting to get back into keeping guinea pigs after a long break and would like some refreshing on health issues and treatments.

Lectade, what is it used for where do i get it and what dose do i give?

Calcium, what is it used for, where do I get the supplement and what dose?

Ivomec oral, what dose do I give and how often?

Toxemia, what is it, what are the signs and how do I treat it?

Should I give pregnant sows supplements? if so what and where do I get it?

Also if you can think of any health issues that I could treat at home please let me know.

Thank you

Helloooo and welcome!
Not sure what advice to give on the others really as these are my 1st piggies ...only had some experience on the calcium side of things.

Dont give them too much calcium... they should get enough from their dry mix. Too much may cause problems with their kidneys/bladder i.e. stones and guinea's urine is very alkaline as it is. One of my piggies suffers from calcium crystals which we think is genetic (and been told theres no cure) - but I still have to watch what she eats - for example... no parsley as its high in oxalate! The potassium:calcium ratio is a consideration with all foods they eat. Be wary of food containing alfalfa too.

just be careful with the calcium thats my advice O0 obviously they do need it to grow and make their bones nice and strong ;)

Only supplement when pigs are ill. Veg provides all the necessary minerals and vits. If you're breeding your guineas then some supplements may need to be given, I suggest you join a breeding forum for better advice.

I agree 100% with Karens reply.

Would just like to add that Ivermectin is now available in topical form.,which is very affective.You only need to use this if you suspect your piggies have mites.

Gorgeous guineas have some wonderful,chemical free shampoos which can be used every 6 weeks or so to help prevent parasitic activity.

WWW.gorgeousguineas.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back