Leaving for a day

mls18

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I'm leaving early tommorow morning and coming back Monday morning, what should I do to make sure my guinea pig has fresh veggies throughout the day? Should I scatter it? Is it fine to leave him alone for the day?

Ideally they need checking on and having hay and water topped up on Sunday evening. Personally I’d not leave them for any longer than 24 hours, in an emergency for example;; and a planned trip of 24 hours would be too long for me to leave them without arranging somebody to check on them after 12 hours.

It’s not veg which is the problem. They don’t need veg to be available throughout the day - they need plenty of unsoiled hay and water.
Leaving extra veg won’t make a difference between they will just eat it until it’s gone.

They don’t need lights being left on. I'm
Assuming you don’t normally leave lights on for them all night!

Ideally they need checking on and having hay and water topped up on Sunday evening. Personally I’d not leave them for any longer than 24 hours, in an emergency for example;; and a planned trip of 24 hours would be too long for me to leave them without arranging somebody to check on them after 12 hours.

It’s not veg which is the problem. They don’t need veg to be available throughout the day - they need plenty of unsoiled hay and water.
Leaving extra veg won’t make a difference between they will just eat it until it’s gone.

They don’t need lights being left on. I'm
Assuming you don’t normally leave lights on for them all night!
ok thanks so much, i wasent able to find anyone who could check up on him but i just got a new shipment of hay so ill be leaving lots of that for him :) thanks for answering my questions!

ok thanks so much, i wasent able to find anyone who could check up on him but i just got a new shipment of hay so ill be leaving lots of that for him :) thanks for answering my questions!

Is there a neighbour who can go and throw more hay in for him this evening?
Just somebody to check he isn’t stuck anywhere and ensure a bottle hasn’t leaked, top up hay etc. Doesn’t have to be anyone who knows about piggies.

Can you make a contingency plan in case you get held up and aren’t able to get back in time?

Is there a neighbour who can go and throw more hay in for him this evening?
Just somebody to check he isn’t stuck anywhere and ensure a bottle hasn’t leaked, top up hay etc. Doesn’t have to be anyone who knows about piggies.

Can you make a contingency plan in case you get held up and aren’t able to get back in time?
I tried asking some friends but none of them were available to check in on sunday, they may be able to on a weekday though in case I'm not able to make it back by monday.
I'm going to try and figure out if I can leave some sort of video camera to watch him while I'm gone since i cant get anyone to check up on him.
Thanks for the help!

Hi as was said above leaving them alone for an extended amount of time isnt the best in any situation as they’re such delicate little creatures (sometimes:xd:)

But if you must go and absolutely have asked everyone you know perhaps add maybe two water bottles instead of one. I don’t know their hay set up but adding multiple different piles, some being raised to make sure he has some unsoiled hay as pigs love to walk all over that stuff.

About veggies and nuggets i would say that’s not really the concern i’d be more worried he would get himself in a strange situation or topple something over and cut off access to his water or something. But I would suggest leaving his normal amount of veggies and nuggets in the morning (not more because you’re going away) and then when you are back monday morning, he will get more then.

Hi as was said above leaving them alone for an extended amount of time isnt the best in any situation as they’re such delicate little creatures (sometimes:xd:)

But if you must go and absolutely have asked everyone you know perhaps add maybe two water bottles instead of one. I don’t know their hay set up but adding multiple different piles, some being raised to make sure he has some unsoiled hay as pigs love to walk all over that stuff.

About veggies and nuggets i would say that’s not really the concern i’d be more worried he would get himself in a strange situation or topple something over and cut off access to his water or something. But I would suggest leaving his normal amount of veggies and nuggets in the morning (not more because you’re going away) and then when you are back monday morning, he will get more then.
ok great thanks so much!

Hi, I'm leaving early tommorow morning and coming back Monday morning, what should I do to make sure my guinea pig has fresh veggies throughout the day? Should I scatter it? Is it fine to leave him alone for the day?

Hi and welcome

It is safe to leave your piggies for 24 hours or just a little above as long as you feed and water before you leave and then on arrival on the following day.

Whichever way you leave pellets and veg doesn't matter; they will be eaten very quickly. Preferably green veg and 1 tablespoon of pellets only replace the supplementary role of wild forage in a guinea pig diet; they have their place but they are actually not the most crucial part of the diet.

What is important is that you leave plenty of hay and a full bottle of fresh water. Hay makes over three quarters of what guinea pigs eat in a day and what they need to have available at all times. As long as your piggies have access to hay and water throughout your absence, they will be fine.

If in doubt, leave two bottles (in case one runs out) and leave extra hay so your piggies won't go hungry and thirsty.
Please leave the lights turned off but make provision for any weather cold or heat extremes if that is needed.
Lots of tips on how to make sure that your piggies are safe in these links here:
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike
Cold Weather Care for Indoor and Outdoor Guinea Pigs

Here are more very practical tips on how to organise a holiday absence: Tips For Organising Your Holiday Absence

Hi and welcome

It is safe to leave your piggies for 24 hours or just a little above as long as you feed and water before you leave and then on arrival on the following day.

Whichever way you leave pellets and veg doesn't matter; they will be eaten very quickly. Preferably green veg and 1 tablespoon of pellets only replace the supplementary role of wild forage in a guinea pig diet; they have their place but they are actually not the most crucial part of the diet.

What is important is that you leave plenty of hay and a full bottle of fresh water. Hay makes over three quarters of what guinea pigs eat in a day and what they need to have available at all times. As long as your piggies have access to hay and water throughout your absence, they will be fine.

If in doubt, leave two bottles (in case one runs out) and leave extra hay so your piggies won't go hungry and thirsty.
Please leave the lights turned off but make provision for any weather cold or heat extremes if that is needed.
Lots of tips on how to make sure that your piggies are safe in these links here:
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike
Cold Weather Care for Indoor and Outdoor Guinea Pigs

Here are more very practical tips on how to organise a holiday absence: Tips For Organising Your Holiday Absence
ok great thank you so much, I did all of that :) thanks for the message!

I realise it's too late for this occasion, but putting up a hay bag gives them a backup supply that stays clean. Even just cutting a couple of holes in a paper bag, stuffing it with hay and hanging it on the side of the cage will do the job. They will also love trashing the bag.

I realise it's too late for this occasion, but putting up a hay bag gives them a backup supply that stays clean. Even just cutting a couple of holes in a paper bag, stuffing it with hay and hanging it on the side of the cage will do the job. They will also love trashing the bag.
Thanks! Ill keep that in mind if i ever need to leave him again.

Back