Leaving Cali

Rochester Piggy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My cousin is pregnant, and she's having a baby shower in 2 weeks. She lives about 5 hours away, so me and fiance would have to stay the night. I'm torn on whether or not to bring Cali. She's a single pig because she's very aggressive towards other piggies. Should I bring her? We will be gone about 30 hours-ish. I have a friend in the next town over who has had piggies before. She could come over to care for Cali, but she has 2 large dogs who have killed rabbits before, so I (and she) wouldn't want to have Cali there.

Last edited:
I'd take Cali with you, not for the reasons that your friend has two large dogs, but you would probably fret about her and it won't help any stress levels.
I am quite a worrier, so that would be ideal. I just remembered Cali's vet boards small animals, so I might book her in there.

That seems like a sensible idea @Rochester Piggy as 5 hours in a car is a very long time for a pig and it is quite stressful too. Then you need to remember the 5 hour return trip too. If you have to take her with you though make sure you make frequent stops to check on her and pop some cucumber and bell pepper in her carry box with her as these have a high water content. Don't give her a bottle as the vibrations of the car joggle it around and it releases the water out of it. If I have left anything out/got anything wrong, I'm sure other members will correct me.

I board mine at an exotics vet and they do a great job. It's expensive, but they really look after them. I even get a record of what they eaten etc so they'd quickly spot if something was wrong. I think it would set your mind at rest. I've also driven 4hrs with my piggies and they have been ok, but it may be easiest if you board them as I expect you will be quite busy with the celebrations.

We drive ours back and forth to the cottage all the time (2 hour drive), but it's only 2 hours and once we're there, we're there for at least several days. Five hours in the car there one way and back the next might be stressful for her. Given the choice of boarding at the vet or having someone pop in to give food/water/pats and a check-in, I would probably choose that.

We drive ours back and forth to the cottage all the time (2 hour drive), but it's only 2 hours and once we're there, we're there for at least several days. Five hours in the car there one way and back the next might be stressful for her. Given the choice of boarding at the vet or having someone pop in to give food/water/pats and a check-in, I would probably choose that.
The next door neighbor has a 12 year old boy. I might ask if he would come over and give Cali her veggies for, as well as let my hens out of the coop the morning we'll be gone.

The next door neighbor has a 12 year old boy. I might ask if he would come over and give Cali her veggies for, as well as let my hens out of the coop the morning we'll be gone.
This sounds like a good solution for an overnight trip.
We have a pet sitter come in when we go away on longer trips, but for 1 - 2 days we do exactly the same.
One of the girls friends from our street comes in to do food and water - she loves doing it, her Mum is on hand if there is any sort of problem, and my girls love making her a little checklist of things to look out for.

Back