Leave Guinea Pigs At Home?... Unsure Of What To Do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear&Bianca

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and any helpful hints or information would be helpful. I have two guinea pigs, both are around 9-10 months old. I just found out that I will be traveling this summer due to an internship. The trip would be about 3 days and then we would stay for three months and then take another three day trip. My parents are saying that I should leave my girls at home for the summer and not take them with me. It breaks my heart to even think about leaving them for a weekend. But I don't want to be selfish and endanger them or stress them out.
Do you think they would be okay making the trip? Have you ever traveled with piggies for that long? And if so were they okay afterwards? They have been on 3 hour car trips before and sleep right through them. My other concern is that they are just starting to really bond with me. Will I lose that bond if I leave them with my family for those three months? I'm sorry this is so long! I would appreciate any help or advice you can give :)

I had a 2 hour car trip and as long as your there they will be fine ! :)

I'm afraid I have no experience with travelling with guinea pigs but it may be helpful to others who do if you could give some details about how you're travelling on the 3 day trip. Is it all by car? Will there be overnight stops/regular breaks? Would the pigs be cooped up in a small box the whole 3 days? etc...

It would be by car, I have a Jeep. There would definitely be overnight stops and frequent breaks. My boyfriend will be riding with me so someone will be with them at all times. I would most likely have them travel in their cage. It's big enough right now for the two of them and then let them run around a little bit in the motel.

We don't have much experience with very long journeys although @karonus takes their piggies away on frequent holidays in their trailer..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back