Leaky Water Bottles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyPig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello folks!

I'm not sure this is the right area to post this, so apologies if it's not. Can anyone recommend a decent water bottle that doesn't leak? I seem to have real bad luck with my bottles. I've had the glass Living World ones for a while (with the cute duck/carrot plastic water markers in) but recently they've had a constant drip so the pigs are running out of water much quicker and their cages are damp. I decided it was time for a change so I gave the Ferplast sippy water bottle a go and came back one evening from work to find a sodden fleece and an empty bottle! It had just dripped the entire 600ml all over their cage. I took it back and changed it and the newer one does an occasional drip but too bad.

I'm not really fussed on price, I'd just like a bottle that doesn't empty itself all over the piggies cages!

I use the 'Classic Deluxe water bottle'' 600ml I think or, large. I have had this for 6 months or so, and no leaks, seems very good quality. Can be bought at P@H or internet.
I buy a bottle snug with it too, in dark green, bought at P@H

I have the Living World ones too but only just got them, I thought they weren't supposed to leak?

I have the Living World ones too but only just got them, I thought they weren't supposed to leak?
They're not according to their packaging but I'm on my 4th now and they do tend to drip. I think it's to do with the seal around the rim of the lid. My most recent had a tear in the seal and it just had a constant drip so I had to stop using it. Let me know how you get on with them :)

Thanks for the recommendation @Chief Guinea Pig! :tu:

They're not according to their packaging but I'm on my 4th now and they do tend to drip. I think it's to do with the seal around the rim of the lid. My most recent had a tear in the seal and it just had a constant drip so I had to stop using it. Let me know how you get on with them :)

Thanks for the recommendation @Chief Guinea Pig! :tu:
You're welcome :roll:

I also use the classic crystal deluxe ones! I have two midi clear ones from pah which were around £2.50-£3.00 and I have one 600ml blue one from wilkos which is £1.50 x they don't leak at all x I find the pets at home ones have the odd little drip but never a leak x I recommend the wilkos ones x they also have a very good, cheap pet range x

I have the Living World Eco glass bottles but they have never leaked for me. :mal:

I am paranoid now and keep going round checking the floor and it is damp but a lot of my pigs are dribbly drinkers.

I just fixed a leaky bottle. If there are air bubbles coming from the bottom it may be an air leak. I applied Teflon tape along the threads of the neck and voila, no bubbles and no drip.

Teflon rape can be found in most stores selling plumbing supplies. Ptfe, the chemical in teflon (and simce dupont doesn't make the stuff teflon tape is a misnomer) has a bad rap for realeasing toxic gases when heated. However in this application it will neve be heated to that point.

If you buy a roll you will constantly use it. I've used it for numerous plumbing jobs and for fixing a leaky fountainpen.

I use the kind called "flatback" water bottles...in the nozzle it has a double ball system instead of just one and I have never had any of mine leak and I have had them for 4 years

I'm sure some of the lovely piggy cage liner, cosy and bed makers on the forum make drip pads, similar to a lap pad but just smaller to catch the drips of water bottles if you still find you have problems!

@helen105281 of the living world bottles I have had over half have been faulty! Either they dont let water out or they leaked their entire contents on the cage in minutes ... I have 2 I use now that just drip a little so I still need water bottle pads.

About half of my ferplast sippys started to leak in past few weeks very annoying when you spend so much on them... I'm currently using some bob martin 300ml ones £1 at b&m as a stop gap until payday and I can afford better ones!

Would be interested in anyone who has been sucessful!

I use the kind called "flatback" water bottles...in the nozzle it has a double ball system instead of just one and I have never had any of mine leak and I have had them for 4 years
Where did you get this kind from? I bought a flatback type, blue plastic with a floaty duck in it as a water level guide. Been extremely pleased with it, no leaks at all, fantastic! Then came home last week to find it completely empty. On inspection, where the flat and curved sides met, seem to have just split in one small area but big enough to spurt out fairly fast. Can't remember name of make and when I went to get another, the shop had closed down! Certainly best non leaky bottle I've had in 6+yrs, just a shame the seal on the side split. Would try it again as I like this flat back style as they are much better at staying put on the cage, not wobbling about. Have also had the sippy ones. These are good but I have had two where the water nozzle has simply snapped off. In all fairness though, they never once leaked!

Ilive in Ontario in Canada and got my flatbacks from my local PetValu. I think they also sell them at petsmart...they are by far the best bottles I have ever invested in

Ilive in Ontario in Canada and got my flatbacks from my local PetValu. I think they also sell them at petsmart...they are by far the best bottles I have ever invested in
Oh, that's a bit of a way to travel for some! I'll try to look on eBay for some and some other local shops. Do you know the manufacturers name at all?

I use classic bottles (wilko's and p@h) for buns and pigs. So long as when you are filling them up you fill them right to the top, with no air bubbles, they dont leak.

I use living world too. The last 2 I had leaked but I sent them back to the manufacturer and was informed they were faulty due to one of the 2 ball bearings being slightly dented inside. The ones before that and the ones I have now have never leaked. Before finding living world I used the classic crystal midi and never had problems but decided to change as they grow algae very quickly in warm weather

This is my first post so if it goes wrong, then I apologise. I brought one that is sold for hamsters and mice and it hasn't leaked. It looks a bit old as I am waiting for payday to buy a new one. Is it ok that I post a picture of it?

This is my first post so if it goes wrong, then I apologise. I brought one that is sold for hamsters and mice and it hasn't leaked. It looks a bit old as I am waiting for payday to buy a new one. Is it ok that I post a picture of it?
what size is it and for how many pigs?

Has It been bought from shop or second hand? If second hand itll be fine so long as you sterilise it x

It is a small one but I have brought a number of them so they have plenty of opportunities to get a drink. It seemed the best option as the others were leaking and I was getting a tad naffed off! Sorry, I went a bit over the top there. It is cleaned regularly and was brought from the shop. I tried to re-use the bottles I had used for my previous guinea pigs, I was trying to be environmentally friendly and they were sterilised, but it was not successful.

It is a small one but I have brought a number of them so they have plenty of opportunities to get a drink. It seemed the best option as the others were leaking and I was getting a tad naffed off! Sorry, I went a bit over the top there. It is cleaned regularly and was brought from the shop. I tried to re-use the bottles I had used for my previous guinea pigs, I was trying to be environmentally friendly and they were sterilised, but it was not successful.
I use bob martin 300ml ones which are for hammies mainly as all my bottles started leaking at same time and I had about 18 of them. The bottles were 50p each and I have one per pig and I change the water twice daily. Only problem ive found is they seem to grow algae in less than a week so I wash twice a week now. Will be buying better ones either this week or next though as just got paid!

I have that problem too Briony! I am just about to clean it, and it is temporary, but this is it. Can send it again if it doesn't come up well. 20140621_181337.webp

As long as it is kept algae free and you keep filling so it never runs dry it'll be fine til you can get a bigger one. I believe bigger ones seem to grow algae slower!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back