Lawn time - ground ivy

Jon880

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I know that ground ivy is toxic to guinea pigs but Google also tells me that many animals dislike its bitter taste and avoid it on that basis. Do the "avoiders" include guinea pigs? Sadly I now have a ton of this stuff across my lawn - PS any tips on non-toxic, non-pesticidal means of removing it would be greatly appreciated....

Hi and welcome

Guinea pigs are unfortunately one of the species that do not tolerate it and that should not come into direct contact with it.

"Grazing animals such as horses and cattle, as well as rodents (especially guinea pigs, hamsters and rabbits) do not tolerate ground ivy. It can be highly toxic to these animals, and larger quantities can also be slightly toxic to humans and cause nausea."
(Plantura Magazin: herbs/ground-ivy/ground-ivy-overview) (with pictures)

Thank you for asking the question @Jon880 .

We also have ground ivy growing at one end of our lawn.

Would you recommend not putting the guinea pigs on the lawn at all? We usually put the run on a patch of grass away from the ground ivy. Should we be putting the guinea pigs out at all?
I cut grass from the lawn too, which I assume as long as I cut away from the ground ivy should be safe?!

One of us periodically attacks and digs it all out.

Thank you for asking the question @Jon880 .

We also have ground ivy growing at one end of our lawn.

Would you recommend not putting the guinea pigs on the lawn at all? We usually put the run on a patch of grass away from the ground ivy. Should we be putting the guinea pigs out at all?
I cut grass from the lawn too, which I assume as long as I cut away from the ground ivy should be safe?!

One of us periodically attacks and digs it all out.

All you have to do is keep your piggies away from the ground ivy and make sure that there is none in the grass you are feeding.
Ground ivy is a herb. It is actually part of the dead nettle family. It does seed around but also spreads around quickly by its creeping roots - which is the reason for its popular name; creeping charlie is another name for the same plant. You have to pull up each plant singly. It doesn't cause any rash upon skin contact.

It is not at all the same as poison ivy, which is toxic to the touch (causing a nasty rash). Poison ivy is native to Asia and North America but not to Europe.
Poison Ivy Rash, Poison Oak, Poison Sumac: Symptoms, Causes & Treatment (with pictures)

I hope that this will clear any confusion between the two plants, which are both unrelated and also entirely unrelated to common ivy.

All you have to do is keep your piggies away from the ground ivy and make sure that there is none in the grass you are feeding.

Ground ivy is a herb; it is not the same as poison ivy, which is toxic to the touch (causing a nasty rash). Poison ivy is native to Asia and North America but not to Europe.
Poison Ivy Rash, Poison Oak, Poison Sumac: Symptoms, Causes & Treatment

I hope that this will clear any confusion between the two plants, which are both unrelated and also unrelated to common ivy.
Thank you

Back