Lavender lodge

• Thread starter Thread starter xXx Mary n Midge xXx
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
X

xXx Mary n Midge xXx

What do people think of this hutch for piggies? Is it weatherproof? (would be outside all year round) Is it sturdy? Is the opening roof sturdy enough to use regularly? :)

It's a hutch which PAH make as far as I know

I've never used this hutch so can't comment but I'm pretty sure there are people here who have.

In my opinion it's a great size though :)

Thanks for posting the link :) Their indoor piggies at the moment have been since i got them 2/3 years ago but their indoor cage is fairly small and when i put them in the big outside run (their in there now) they just sit huddled in the carrier so aren't getting any exercise at all. So i was thinking if i get a nice big outside hutch that they can stay in year round then they will have lots of space and will hopefully get more exercise. Just concerned about the sturdiness of the roof is ok to be opened however many times a day and also how weatherproof it is as it would be outside in winter?

you can get big plastic sheets that you can put over the roof to stop any rain getting in, like tarpoling sheets etc i used those on my outdoor run when it rained so the pigs didnt get wet either i put it all the way around.

spudnik said:
you can get big plastic sheets that you can put over the roof to stop any rain getting in, like tarpoling sheets etc i used those on my outdoor run when it rained so the pigs didnt get wet either i put it all the way around.
Do you think they'd be ok with this in winter?

I have 2 lavender lodges and though the size is great ,one of mine leaks!Water seems to get into the back and they are covered by tarpoulin(cant spell that).It may be we didn"t build them properly!They are strong and the piggies have lots of space but I don"t leave mine outside through the winter so can"t help you with that.I know you can get hutch huggers for them so that would help

it would be better if they could go in a shed during winter or an UNUSED garage, this will protect them from the wind and any draughts.

My guineas are outside in the shed as there is no space in the house but they have a run that they go in and there hutch is big

Looks good to me! If you're worried about it being weather proof you can pop to any DIY store and buy a roll of roofing felt. Thats what we did...it was only £5.00 for a couple of metres....bargain! And of course means you have plently left over to do repairs in the future!

Guinea-piggies-94 said:
Where from?

Teabag said a DIY store ;)

For my hutch we put thick plastic sheeting stuff all down the back and on the roof (we built it ourselves)...down the back was just because there was some spare lol.

Jane said:
Guinea-piggies-94 said:
Where from?

For my hutch we put thick plastic sheeting stuff all down the back and on the roof (we built it ourselves)...down the back was just because there was some spare lol.
Yes...would say which one but not sure if we're allowed? Begins with a W anyway, so you can guess the rest!

teabag said:
Jane said:
Guinea-piggies-94 said:
Where from?

Yes...would say which one but not sure if we're allowed? Begins with a W anyway, so you can guess the rest!

I assume you can say it - people usually do anyway and it's never editted or anything - I'm assuming you mean Wickes? ;)

I have a Lavender Lodge... it's a great hutch, the opening roof is really handy for cleaning out. I insulated mine for the winter using a camping mat across the roof covered over by a hutch hugger (P@H sell them for the Lavender Lodge and they are about £50, although a tarpaulin would work just and well and can be brought very cheaply).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back