Larva(s) In Outdoor Litter Box (Yuck!)

Crystal.L

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey, my piggies have a little outdoor run when it's nice out and they have a litter box out there as well as I'm litter training one of my piggies. But I've noticed that there have been larvas (I don't know if larvas are the plural form) under all the bedding in the litter box. What can I do to keep those at the absolute minimum?

:agr: I also wouldn’t leave the litter box outside when they’re not using it. Do be mindful that you can’t really litter trained guinea pigs. They’re essentially incontinent. Although they generally toilet while eating, they will go anywhere - asleep in a tunnel, while walking around, while drinking etc.

If piggies are out on the grass in their run then I would just move the run around the garden. I leave the poops on the grass as they are such good fertilisers. Otherwise if in a permanent place then pick the poop up everyday and use them in your plant pots or around the base of shrubs

As they poop so much you would definitely have to clean it out daily so there’s no waste for the flies to lay eggs on.

:agr: I also wouldn’t leave the litter box outside when they’re not using it. Do be mindful that you can’t really litter trained guinea pigs. They’re essentially incontinent. Although they generally toilet while eating, they will go anywhere - asleep in a tunnel, while walking around, while drinking etc.
Yes, I understand but I just try to litter train them to make cleaning their cage a little easier. My 4 1/2 month old is actually doing pretty good with litter training but of course, there are always occasional stray poops.

Back