Lap Time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavy Kung-Fu

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I've had my girlies for a week and a half now, I'm impressed with some of their progress (Cissy will take off a finger for her greens now!) however, lap time and cuddles still seems to be a traumatic process for them. Even me really, I'm so worried about the escaping and disappearing in my sitting room (like my old piggy did, took forever to find him and had to dismantle our sofa!) and I think they can feel my nervousness too, which I know isn't good.

Yesterday I had them in their snuggle sacks on my lap but they more or less just hid and burrowed deeper, Bella wouldn't touch food but Cissy ate her carrots whilst eyeing me suspiciously.

Is there anything anyone can suggest to make the whole process easier? I've been sitting with them in their floor time enclosure which has been more miss than hit.

Thanks for your time!

I found with my boys it was just a matter of having them wrapped up in a towel and held on my lap. I just stroked them through the towel at first and then they slowly emerged from it enough to pat their heads/body. Just hold them and talk to them so they get used to how you sound and smell. Good luck :)

Persistence is key :D
With my little Joojoo, he has this one place in his cage where he stands if he wants a cuddle (on his shelf). I've found it loads easier to lift him up from somewhere elevated, if that helps. But as I say, JP wouldn't settle on my lap at first but after a while and some persistence he began to realise that laptime was actually fun! Keep trying :hug:

The blanket trick worked for me! And it's all a part of personality. Some piggies are more confident while others just simply are not! You have to work with them as much and as early as possible. Olaf loves being held but to this day he's still a cuddly wimp. He just loves to cuddle and hide by mommy. I've had him for a year and that's just how he is. He isn't as explorative as Ginger was.

Thanks for all the help guys! I haven't got a shelf in my C&C cage, is it worth making one? And if so, how did you do yours?

Had a cuddle session last night, got covered in wee and poo for the first time haha. Either they're more comfortable with me or they're trying to send a message XD I think Bella might have been trying to nip me before though (neither have done this before), I'm wondering if it was to tell me she needed the toilet? I'd read about other people experiencing this.

I shall be more persistent and try to hold them more! :)

That could be why she was nipping. Each piggie has their own way of saying "It's toilet time!" For mine, they start shuffling backwards and you've got about 10 seconds to get them somewhere pee friendly!

That could be why she was nipping. Each piggie has their own way of saying "It's toilet time!" For mine, they start shuffling backwards and you've got about 10 seconds to get them somewhere pee friendly!

Yes I suspected that as they're both very sweet natured, thanks for confirming! Haha the shuffling sounds like a cute emergency though XD

Just an update, the girls and I are becoming more confident with each other! They've grown a bit too which makes me happier as they're less delicate (I'm a bit heavy handed at times so I was scared I might break them when it was cuddle time).

They'll now eat their favourite fresh greens when being cuddled and will try to eat my thumb if they run out, cheeky gits!
They still run away if being picked up but I'd run away too if a giant swooped down and took me out of my house :xd:

All in all, good progress :D

I really recommend persevering with the getting down to their level and sitting with them for floor time, piggies are usually too nosey to resist checking out giants, especially giants bearing cucumber....

I really recommend persevering with the getting down to their level and sitting with them for floor time, piggies are usually too nosey to resist checking out giants, especially giants bearing cucumber....

Haha yes! They're still a bit timid around floor time, especially if I've had a hard time catching them 'cause they get pretty stressed. :(

But they're a lot better all round now, Bella ran up to my face and gave me piggie kisses on my nose during cuddle time the other day, SO CUTE! :luv: And Cissy puts her nose through the cage when I walk past, but that's because she's hoping for food XD

I think we're on the right path though!:yahoo:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back