Lap time issues

D

Deleted member 147316

Hello again!
I have taken my guinea pigs out for lap time together (see more info on my previous thread: 'Hi') but they seem to be biting each other's ears and feet. Everytime Jet moves, Cloud swings his head round and viciously bites Jet on the side. Jet then squeaks and sort of presses on the ground as if to submit to Cloud's agression. What do i do to stop this?
Thanks, Jet and Cloud

You cannot stop this.
As per your other thread, their bond has failed so they can never have physical contact ever again. Please do not let them ever be in the same space, not for lap time or in a cage. They must be kept entirely apart at all times. You must have lap time with one piggy only. Then put that piggy back in his cage and then take the other piggy out for
lap time.
By continually putting two piggies who do not like each other together for things like lap time, it will cause them huge stress

Unfortunately Jet is going to end up very traumatised and getting a bad bite if he has any more contact with Cloud. If he has too much trauma, it will be hard for him to be a happy pet or bond with any other piggies. Bites can become badly infected and then you have a very poorly pet :(

Hi

It is tough to get your head around the fact that you have reached the end of the shared road with your two boys in
every respect. It is a very gutting experience because you only want the best for them as a loving owner.

I would also recommed that you get two different lap fleeces for the boys (and always use the same for each boy, so get some baby blankets with different colours or patterns) and that you wash your hand in the between. The same goes with their cage furniture - make sure that each boy always gets the ones that smell of him in his own territory. Piggies have a much stronger sense of smell than we humans, so we tend to grossly underestimate the importance of this.

Hi

It is tough to get your head around the fact that you have reached the end of the shared road with your two boys in
every respect. It is a very gutting experience because you only want the best for them as a loving owner.

I would also recommed that you get two different lap fleeces for the boys (and always use the same for each boy, so get some baby blankets with different colours or patterns) and that you wash your hand in the between. The same goes with their cage furniture - make sure that each boy always gets the ones that smell of him in his own territory. Piggies have a much stronger sense of smell than we humans, so we tend to grossly underestimate the importance of this.

It really is sad but i don't want them to be hurt. Have you ever experienced your piggles being separated due to fighting?

Ok. So i will keep their scents away from each other from now on.

I've done bondings where the piggies choose to live together. However, Shadow and Miffy were both dominant ladies and would rather have attacked each other than submit to the other. It wasn't safe and not what they wanted. Through the c and c cage divider, with their own territory, they kept each other good company though. (If one piggy has become traumatised by the conflict, this might not work)

Screenshot_20211027_101913.webpScreenshot_20211027_101641.webp

They're cute! Can i make/buy a divider for a regular indoor cage or do i have to change to a proper c and c cage

They're cute! Can i make/buy a divider for a regular indoor cage or do i have to change to a proper c and c cage

Each piggy needs their cage to be a minimum of 120x60cm for welfare and wellbeing purposes. Therefore, dividing an indoor cage is not possible as each half will not be big enough. As you have two indoor cages, then if you can rearrange your room, then all you need to do is put the two cages you already have next to each other (Provided each cage is 120x60cm or bigger)

If you have a c&c, then each piggy needs a 2x4 c&c. So you will need a space big enough for an 8x2 c&c (this will measure approximately 9 feet by just over 2 feet) so you can put a divider in the middle

Yes a divided pet shop cage would be far too small. Because you have 2 pet cages plus a run, it looked like there might be room to rearrange things and have a c and c cage.

It's a lot of space to find so some people might rehome one piggy to someone who would look after them properly, and try to find an accepted friend for remaining piggy. Are there any rescues where you live?

Shadow and Miffy had a divided 4x4 c and c cage.

Back