Laminate Cage?

Ariangel

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yes it's me again with another question! :roll:

So today a friend was telling me about a new cage she was going to be making for her guinea pigs out of laminate flooring.

She had spare flooring left over so she is using that as the sides for her cage and for the floor she is using vinyl with fleece on top.

The size is going to be around the size of a 2x5 - 2x6 c&c cage.

I was just wondering do you recommend that she goes ahead with it? is it safe?

I don't think I've ever hear of someone doing that before :nod:

It could work but I think I'd probably want to cover the sides with something in case they chew the laminate.

Also if the sides are solid (not bars or grids) then you'd need to work out a way to hang the water bottle.

When I built my first C&C I really didn't trust my building skills so I made the back and one side from two big pieces of wood and the second side and front from the grids. It seemed a lot more solid and kept it's shape really well.

It could work but I think I'd probably want to cover the sides with something in case they chew the laminate.

Also if the sides are solid (not bars or grids) then you'd need to work out a way to hang the water bottle.

When I built my first C&C I really didn't trust my building skills so I made the back and one side from two big pieces of wood and the second side and front from the grids. It seemed a lot more solid and kept it's shape really well.
Thanks for replying! I was thinking about making my own cage the same way with wood :lol: do you have any ideas as to how to put the water bottle up as I'm not a fan of the ceramic bowls :inn:

I would look at how the good hutches are made.. 3 out of 4 sides solid wood - tongue and groove tends to be best. Then one side where at least half if not all is metal mesh. Should be able to get some mesh from a garden centre or hardware store, make a wooden frame for the front and use a furniture staple gun to attach the mesh. Bottle can then be hung on the mesh

I would look at how the good hutches are made.. 3 out of 4 sides solid wood - tongue and groove tends to be best. Then one side where at least half if not all is metal mesh. Should be able to get some mesh from a garden centre or hardware store, make a wooden frame for the front and use a furniture staple gun to attach the mesh. Bottle can then be hung on the mesh
Thank you! That definitely seems the best way to make it :nod:

Back