• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

laboured breathing

• Thread starter Thread starter sue h
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sue h

hello everyone,,last night i noticed Yolande's breathing was abit laboured her head moves up and down abit when she breaths..she s fine in herself eating,drinking and pooing ok..We have had her for 4.5 years and she was about 8 months old when we got her from the rspca..her eyes clear and no runny nose..so i don't know if i am just being paranoid..problem is as well our vets are not very good with Piggy's and have let us down in the past by prob being on the wrong track..we are in leicestershire..does anybody know a really good vet in leic/notts/derby?or have any suggestions?

worried :-\ :'(

sue
xx

I have jsut read the peter Gurney page and i have put some vicks on the end of her nose and at the moment she is having a stroll around the lounge :smitten:
dont know if she fells abit cold?have put the heating on..
sue
xx

Hope she will be ok :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
Keep a close eye as it could be the start of an upper respitory infection. There is a vets section at the top of the health and illness board, maybe a vet in your area is listed there?
I know some on here have given sudafed to their piggies to clear congestion. If you do a search using `sudafed` you may find what dose etc but if she gets any worse, I would be going to the vet. If he gives her antibiotics, (septrin or baytril) she will also need a pro biotic and get some syringes from vet too :)

right have just been to the vets-i called and they said bring her straight down,there was a new vet on and she was very good,she has got a chest infection but said her breathing is very laboured so was given 2 injections 1xbaytril and 1xsteroid? hope she did the right thing.i have also been given some baytril to start tommorow...and if she showing and signs of getting worse i have got to take her back in the morning...
oh no i am really worried now...

sue
:( :'(

Did she give you a pro biotic as well? Baytril is ok but does upset the gut flora so a pro biotic such as bio lapis needs to be given by syringe. She may go off her food too, if so you will need to have some critical care on hand to syringe feed her as well as encouraging her with finely sliced veggies and of course hay!

Hope she gets better very soon :)

no didnt get any pro biotic,can i buy from the chemist?or i can nip back to the are critical care aswell..when i get in the vets i panic and forget things..i really should make some notes..

Septrin is better than Baytril for a URTI but Baytril will help.Sudafed can be given in conjunction at the dose rate of 0.3ml per day.Do not give this for more than 2 or 3 consecitive days.

Some forum members also recommend Bisolvon as an alternative to Sudafed,it is up to you to decide.
If you do use Sudafed get the paedriactric one for nasal congestion.

Make sure she gets plenty of fluid as gps with any kind of infection can get easily dehydrated.

Keep her warm.

Why did the vet give a steroid inj?-- just curious.

dont know about the steroid injection? just going back to the vets for some critical care anf lapsis...poor yolande :'(

sue
xx

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( Yolande has just passed away in my arms :'( :'(it was like she waited for Dave to get home from work :'(we just got the Critical care down her and was having a cuddle and she died :'( we are devastated ,cant believe it was so quick! :'(

Sue
:'( :'(

I am so sorry you have lost her.The only compensation is that she died with you and knew she was loved.You did all you could,and no one can do more than that.

Hugs from The Epsom Mob

Oh Sue, I am so so sorry.....that was horrid for you. RIP Yolande :'(

I would be asking your vet what the steroid injection was for? I didnt think a URI could make her pass away so quickly :-\
Sorry if I am being inappropriate, but if she were mine, I would want to know why? :-\

Hope you are ok, big big hugs from me too :-*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back