Krate and cage

nlkiser198343

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I just bought a krateancage fleece liner off eBay for $50. Hasn't arrived yet but this YouTuber saskia who works at a guinea pig rescue mentioned that she had this type of liner and she's washed it tons of times for years and still works.

If it's just a standard fleece liner, there is plenty of info out there about it. This site has a good page too - A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

I only use fleece now, for about 3 years. My oldest liners are second hand that I got from a rescue, made by FFOM. I don't know how old they are. The only issue I've had is the stitching came out, but that can be sewed up. Be mindful of how you dry them also. I did have a few shrink when I started using them, because I put them in the dryer. Some aren't 2x3 anymore...

I plan on letting it air dry like the instructions say. My first wash in my new washer was not fun. I was beating and rubbing off as much hay as I could. Then I put in a laundry bag that keeps the hay in the bag and put it in by itself but wet it was way to heavy and was throwing my washer around violently and it was still sopping wet and I couldn't figure out how to set washer to spin without letting more water in. It's been wet for almost 8 hours over night

I have fleece from 7 years ago and still use them. My Finn will be 7 this year and he still has his old fleece. I have added many new ones since then but never threw away any fleece bedding.

I think you may find that a load with only one item is more likely to become unbalanced. It will be forced against one side of the drum, and if it sticks there, the drum with have a heavy side and a light side. If you have a second object to throw in, it may help your balance issue. It's hard to give suggestions on getting an extra spin cycle without knowing more about your washer and its options. Generally an extra spin would be part of the initial settings for the cycle.
Does your dryer have temperature settings? A cool cycle or delicate cycle may help take out some of the water without applying high heat (so basically a spin cycle) ... I'd probably take it out before the cycle finished (so while still wet, just less wet) and block it before finishing drying however you currently dry it. If it has an internal layer that could mat up, throw in some tennis balls, dryer balls, or baby shoes.

Get yourself a silicone curry comb for brushing hay and poo off the fleece. It makes cleaning so much better/easier/faster.6663029E-17AA-4D49-91B7-24DDF9170EE1.webp766284B3-995E-4C96-A7B2-47F530E398DF.webp

Attachments

• F3F6774A-8916-4B03-8885-FACAE573C011.webp
    F3F6774A-8916-4B03-8885-FACAE573C011.webp
    18.3 KB · Views: 2
Back